Skip to main content

It's Your Body, Your Mind, Your Choice - Don't try to make it MINE!!

Famous Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone’s “My Body My Choice” video that has gone viral these days has provoked my hibernated mind to think. This video was released jointly by Deepika and director Homi Adajania in association with Vogue India as part of their campaign on women's empowerment. But I feel that the word “Women Empowerment” has lost its real meaning amidst all the political and media attention these days. Best example is this video


The video starts with Deepika saying “My Body, My Mind , My Choice”. This is not something that only women aspire for. Equal percentage of men also face situations questioning their decisions and even they feel like screaming out – It’s My Life, My Choice. This is a problem that the youth of India is facing – Youth of Both Genders. So how is it that we are representing injustice to only women in this tagline?

“It’s My Choice to Marry or Not to Marry.” – To marry or not to marry is a problem that not only girls but also guys face. I have equal number of friends who are boys forced into marriage as are girls. I do agree that choices on “whom to marry” given to guys are more liberal than girls, but the choice “Not to Marry” is not given even to guys in our society.

“To have Sex before marriage or outside the marriage, to not have sex, is my choice” - What kind of women empowerment promotion is this? I do understand that the last phrase “to not have sex” is a choice that's least granted to married women. I have heard from quite a few married friends that its almost impossible to deny sex to their husbands when they don't feel like it. But cheating or adultery is not something one preaches to anyone. There is a thin line between exercising ones freedom and trespassing someone else's. I don't say that people don't cheat on their spouses, but one does not advocate it as a right thing to do. This is like saying, To Rape or not, To Kill or not, is my choice.

I remember, during one of the sports drill back in school, while practicing for March-past; our sports trainer had told  -  While Marching, swing your arms and legs, with such discipline such that you don’t hit your neighboring cadet. It depicts your freedom. You are free to do what you like as long as you are not disturbing people near you. I am not advocating the societal standards, if you have read my past posts; you would by now know that I will be the last person to say – Follow the Societies standards blindly. What I meant was, we don’t have the right to ruin someones life by our acts and cover it up saying It’s my choice. 

Nevertheless, this video is everything but women empowerment. Right to choice of clothes, marriage, music, sex applies to both men and women. Take a break Miss Deepika Padukone. Sit back, relax and think. Try to gather some common sense. And please, don't use your fame to create such videos in the name of social cause. Lakhs of women might end up paying price for your stupidity. It surprises me to see how one can be so foolish to not foresee the consequences of this video. Madhuri Dixit's video on Domestic Violence was also another misleading video; all throughout the video it seemed to address the Gender Policing issue; of how boys and girls are bought up in a different manner; and at the end they show a guy torturing his wife. I have now started to question the intelligence of Vogue for creating such videos.

Currently, Women of our society have bigger problems of Domestic violence, Rape/Incest, Child Abuse, Female Infanticide, Prostitution/Human Trafficking , Sexual Abuse/Harassment, Right to Education, Dowry, Gender Policing and so on. We definitely don't have the privilege to provoke the already men dominated society against freedom for women. If we allow people like Deepika Padukone to be the representative of women in the society then I am afraid how can we really achieve actual freedom for women. 

This video is like proving to the so-called male dominated society that women don't really understand the meaning of Freedom; and will always need a man to show them the right direction. One of the videos created in response to Deepika's video, is a good response that clearly shows the flaws in the so called "Female Version". Unfortunately for us women, this clearly shows that Vogue's version was dumb.

Women like Deepika Padukone, Madhuri Dixit etc... you should understand that you represent the elite class of women; Women who are educated, who can think, who are successful, who are looked up to by lakhs and crores of people. You should know the value of the power you carry and the care with which it should be exercised. You cannot just walk into the social media claiming a social cause and throw pranks like these videos. 

I believe in freedom for women; but I am not a Feminist. And I am definitely not a fool to fall for videos like these.

Yes, It’s your Life, your Body, your  Mind and your Choice. But not all of your choices are correct for the entire society. So please don't try to make choices for my life!


- Sarita
Dated - 5th April 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Solving Life like a Rubik's cube!

I had bought Rubik's cube around 4 years back I think, and I would just keep turning it's faces around without any logic to see if color's aligned. I knew there was some trick and logic to solve it; but I never had a deep interest in learning it. So it used to lie around in my house with not much success. Last month, I got an urge to check this off my list. So, I sat watching Youtube videos and reading numerous webpages, learning about various tricks/moves to solve the Rubik's cube. I solved it.  Then I scrambled it, to start all over again. I solved it again. I scrambled it again, and redid the process till I memorized it's move so I could solve it without any guidance. During, this process, I learnt something. There were times when I was close to last few steps in solving the cube, then I would make a bad move and cube would get messed up. I would scramble it again, and start over. There was this weird feeling of losing what I have accompli...

Compliment Someone, Because, Why Not?

Last week a customer service lady at self-checkout area of Loblaws walked up to me and asked if I was at the store the previous day. I indeed was.  I was surprised she remembered me, and was also confused as to why would it matter if I showed up on consecutive days. You know how at times your brain goes a million miles per sec and causes you to question all your life choices? I was running all the reasons in my head as to why someone would care about my grocery schedule. So, it was in that slightly confused state I replied, albeit politely “ Yes, I was here yesterday. The huge watermelon I bought did not allow me to complete my entire grocery checklist as I had reached my single trip haul limit, so I am here again to buy rest of my items ”. Meanwhile, my inner voice was shouting “ Why are you justifying your grocery trip to this random lady? Like who cares? ” Me being me, where my face clear as water always shows what I feel inside; she must have seen that confusion clearly danci...