Skip to main content

Just another rant!

I have this habit of reading the reviews on a book AFTER I finish reading the book. I don't want reviews to influence my take on the book, so I avoid the gossips before I get to finish the book.

The comments on this book and the movie based on this book, disturbed me.

I am not saying people should like this book. There are so many books with raving 5 star reviews, that I fail to connect with, and end up giving 1 star. It's fairly normal, some people connect to a story, some don't. You didn't like a story or plot, you didn't find characters convincing, you didn't connect to the story etc..etc.. but that should be it. It shouldn't be because you are prejudiced - racially, sexually, religiously, politically etc..etc..it should be purely objective as a reader.

"The Help" is about African Americans working in white households in Jackson, Mississippi, during the early 1960s. It's told primarily from the first-person perspectives of three women: Aibileen Clark, Minny Jackson, and Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan. Aibileen and Minny are African American maids, while Skeeter is a daughter of wealthy white family. Story covers aspects around life during civil war.

The comments that you will see flooding internet has a tone of racism.

"...another Hollywood movie that sees racial progress as the province of white do-gooderism."


"..the 2011 film directed by Tate Taylor, a white man, is based on a 2009 novel written by author Kathryn Stockett, a white woman, that focuses more on the white voices and characters than those of the black domestic workers."

If you think that credibility of any content is defined by the origin of the creator, of him or her being from the same sect of humanity that the subject is focused on, then you surely don't understand art or literature.

Whether it's a movie or play or music or book or article or art of any form, if you think only a spy can write an authentic spy story, a jewish can do justice to holocaust novels, a soldier reserves the right to write about wars etc...etc... we wouldn't have works of literature at all.

And also, if you think the weak section of the society never got help from the stronger section during the times of turmoil, then you don't understand humanity at all.

We all have seen one or other form of struggles in the history, and just because one is born into the wrong side of the history, doesn't take away the right from him or her to be human. 

Not all germans were evil during Nazi regime - Georg Ferdinand Duckwitz a German diplomat, tipped off the Danes about the Germans' intended deportation of the Jewish population in 1943 and arranged for their reception in Sweden. Danish resistance groups subsequently rescued 95% of Denmark's Jewish population. We cannot belittle his efforts as Nazi do-gooderism, can we?

And I learnt this reference from "Number the Stars" book, written by Lori Lowry, an American, not a Danish or Jewish or German. Doesn't make it any less credible, does it?

Raja Ram Mohan Roy, a born brahmin, reformed hindu society, doesn't make him any less honest than B.R.Ambedkar does it?

I can go on and on, but you get the idea.

It will be unfair to say we know what the oppressed felt like back in those times, none of us can ever comprehend that. And yes, we are still fighting those prejudices even in 2020. Whether it's for black lives or muslims or women empowerment etc..etc.. But the reason we are still here, is because we don't want to give the world a chance to change. It's like making sure the other side does not forget how their ancestors made our ancestors feel. It's like me being anti-British, for ruling my country, and showing that frustration on some 20yr old bloke who wasn't even part of the whole deal. What's the point of that scrutiny?

**you know actually now I feel I have started down a rabbit hole. This is one of those complicated topic that has no true answer. Just an emotional mess. I don't think there is ever a right way or tone to send this message out. Re-reading my blog, I sound very arrogant and anti-*whatever. So, I will stop it here****

Everytime I start believing in homo sapiens, I am brought back to the harsh reality of our minds. I used to think that people who travel are open minded or rather one who look at facts unbiased. Same applies to people who read books, they are travelers too, reading and consuming different stories, opening up their minds to the world out there. But I have been proven otherwise more than once.

I just feel, art & literature should be kept away from the overbearing shadows of these prejudices; although it's hard because these very elements are the heart & soul or rather true inspiration for art & literature. Well, coming to think of it now, my original thought on which I started this blog seems to be a moot point. I just want people to see each other for who they are, for their emotional & intellectual abilities, 
as just humans, not for where they come from; but I guess it's not possible, because where we come from bears a mark on our personality, on who we are.

Well, like I said, moot point. This blog just feels like a crazy rant, and so I titled it as such. I probably just need a run followed by a cold beer.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Father's Day!!!

From the time I started knowing people, one person that I always looked up to was my Dad. A person who believed I could move the world. A person who believed that I could do much more than what I would say I could. He might not be the perfect person. He surely would have done his share of mistakes and learnt from it. But as a father, he defined masculinity for me.  He made me realize that masculinity was not a gender . It's a behavior, an act, a character that he wanted me to absorb as well. He taught me to be the man of the house - To be brave, to face challenges of life alone, not to entrust my future in other's hands. He gave me freedom to make decisions of my life, to make my own mistakes and learn from it. He made me feel that to run a family, to live one's life, you really don't need a MAN. Having someone beside you is always a blessing; but never make that the necessity of life. There was absolutely nothing that I could not do just because I was a girl.  He ha...

Celebrating the Bridge for Friends!

Just like any other bridge, this one plays a role of connecting you and me. Some are brand new, very inviting, clean and pure, presenting to be strong, yet to get exposed to the harsh reality of life. Some have weathered in many seasons, with few bars of railings missing, few broken planks, yet they stand strong, like huge metal bridges.  Some are reinforced with fresh materials every few years, so we stay connected strong and safe for entire lifetime.  Some are beyond repair, standing there rusty and broken. Not because it's impossible to fix the gap, but just waiting for equal support from the other side to mend it. Some were meant to serve one another just once. The need to cross that bridge never arose again, doesn't mean we don't remember how important that bridge was in our journey. To new and old, deep and shallow, strong and weak, connected and broken friendships, I am grateful to have known you one way or another.  Happy Friendships Day! 🍻

Whose purpose is more meaningful?

Who sets guidelines or standards for an acceptable purpose of life? Some are fighters whose ultimate purpose is to fight; for environment, for nation, for religion, for women, for sick, for poor, for justice, for universe etc..etc.. (doctors, lawyers, politicians, NGOs, environmentalists, socialists, defense forces, civil forces, economists, saints, monks,etc..). Some are creators whose purpose is to create that one masterpiece for the world (people like writers, musicians, artists, composers, scientists, researchers, innovators, farmers, influencers, engineers, chefs, designers, architects etc..etc..).  Then comes the category of skill or hobby loving folks who find purpose of life in their skills or passion like acting, teaching, singing, climbing, mountaineering, sports etc... But all these together form just 5-10% of the society. The major part of this world don't have any said purpose. Not everyone's ultimate purpose is to save the world. Rest of this world lead...

इन यादों को यकीन है ||

शीशे की दरारों में फसे सूरज की किरणे फर्श पे जमी हुई कीचड़ की दाग हर चीज़ पे धूल का पर्दा बिछा हुआ जैसे ओडी हो यादों की घूँघट इन सबने || मानो जैसे हर दीवार केहती कोई कहानी है जैसे वो टूटा हुआ आइना छुपाती किसीकी जवानी है उस झूले में जैसे दबी किसीकी मुस्कराहट है सब कैद है बस इंतज़ार में एक उसके || वो सावन जब भीगते थे घंटो तक आँगन में भागते थे एक दूसरे को छेड़ते पूरे घर में अब न वो बारिश रही न वो मासूम छेड़कानी बस रह गयी है तो ये फर्श पे जमी कीचड की दाग || वो आइना जिसने निहारा उनका खूबसूरत साथ जो शर्माके नज़रे झुकाती जब वो पास उसके जाता बालो में गजरा लगाता, काजल का टिका लगाता इसे भी इंतज़ार है फिर से उस जवान महोब्बत का || वो झूला आज भी डूबते सूरज से पूछता है क्यूँ ज़ंग लगी है उसमें, क्यूँ नहीं प्यार से उसे कोई झुलाता न वो शाम रहा जब वो एक दुसरे की बाहों में घंटों तक झूलते और न वो सूरज जिस से वो एक दुसरे की नादान शिकायत करते || बस इक आहट से उनके, इस खँडहर में जान आये उनके छूने से जी उठे हर एक चीज़ हट जाये यादों क...

Combat with Mosquitoes in Delhi Airport - 15 Dead

Yeah, if I owned a news channel or newspaper; then headlines today would read exactly like this. I was in transit in Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport and I had to wait for 4 hours; and trust me it was hell. It’s been ages since I have actually fought with mosquitoes, so for a bit I felt I might lose the battle with them.  In my childhood days, during rainy season, it was a time pass for us kids, clapping hands trying to kill mosquitoes. As disgusting as it may seem; back then it definitely was a fun filled activity. It’s been over couple of decades now that I have actually dealt with such an army of healthy & fit mosquitoes. I spent first hour trying to be civilized; just shooing them away; but then I had had enough. I went from defence to offence. Within the next hour I killed roughly 15 mosquitoes;  captured in my closed fist more than 10 mosquitoes and released these war prisoners safely alive. Honestly even today, it kind of gives a sense of accomplishment to accurately ...

Listener of the Fallen Stars

In the far end of the world, on the land stretched with endless deserts, walks an old merchant, Mejhul, the nameless, the faceless.   The name had fallen on him, as he was an orphan raised on the streets of different cities, growing up along the caravans of traders. And eventually he had come to like his name, for he was unknown, moving from one new place to another, no home to return to, no one that he belonged to. A nomad, a wanderer, he travels with his camel, Arkadash, who was truly his friend. From the time he ventured on this journey, Arkadash was with him, for over three decades now.  Mejhul spent his life, with half the year in the world out there, around people and their unlimited stories. And the rest half of the year of winter months in these deserts, wrapped in the night sky and their eternal tales.  He was no longer nameless though, he was now known, known as the Listener of the Fallen Stars.  Sitting in front of his tent in this fairly cold winter, lean...

SriLanka Backpacking Itinerary - 14 days - One Country - Many Experiences

Finally, I tried to put together the itinerary of the 14 days backpacking trip in SriLanka I did with a friend in December 2019.  Some general notes -  For accommodation, we used Hostelworld.com  ; Booking.com ; Airbnb.ca On an average $7 - $15 USD we get good accommodation in hostel/airbnb. Coconut water - 80 LKR (because I drank a lot of it :)) TukTuk - always suggest you check with locals on what's the average price, so you can negotiate with the drivers better. Bus & train - most preferred mode of transportation, cheap, depending on the time of the day there are chance of it being crowded, but hey - if you want to get the sense of the place and people, go for it. In the expenses I have not included accommodation or food or rides within city.  Used Splitwise app to track my daily expenses. Carry USD in cash. local banks do give good exchange rate if you don't convert everything in Colombo airport. People bank of China did not charge ...

My Favorite Read - 11 - City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert

An absolutely delicious novel of which I savoured every single page.  After "A man called Ove by Fredrick Backman", this is the first time that I could not stop smiling throughout my read, and trust me you don't get to experience that quite often. So, thank you Elizabeth Gilbert for such an entertaining novel. Vivian moris is the woman I fell in love with along with dozen other characters. Such a colorful novel, and the casual manner in which it's delivered, did the perfect trick. Okay, let me back up a bit. Starting with Vivian's entry into New York back in 1940s, this is how she explains it to Angela, " But this is a city that gets born anew in the fresh eyes of every young person who arrives here for the first time. So that city, that place—newly created for my eyes only—will never exist again. It is preserved forever in my memory like an orchid trapped in a paperweight. That city will always be my perfect New York. " And that is exactly how I felt wh...

Reading between the lines

“ What makes you think it’s you? ” She asked cocking her head to her right giving him a studying glance. He thought he was sure, but now looking at her piercing eyes, he wasn’t so sure after all. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair and clearing his throat said “ Well, you know, you always write about broken heart. And ahem, we both know, how that happened. So.. you know, I thought that it’s written around our relationship .” “ Hmm ” she said, straightening and sipping her bourbon.  “ But now looks like I was a fool to think that? ” Now it was his turn to shot that questioning glance. “ You were always a fool. You know that right. But anyway you were my fool! ” She smiled. “ I like the sound of ‘my’ there. But I am getting a feeling there’s no place for it anymore? ” he asked with slight nervousness. “ Tell me Erhan, why are you really here? I have my assumptions but I want to hear it from you. Tell me. ” She leaned forward, throwing her full weight on the table and her full atten...

Life a Wonderful Twister

(In response to my Friend Chiru's Blog - Life is a Wonderful Twister. Dated 10/26/2010) Life  ... This 4 lettered word has the entire world woven around it. I always felt if there is anything at all as powerful as this word -  LIFE .  Every word you speak is related to this word directly or indirectly. Everything you see, feel, sense has the essence of  LIFE . Every minute we spend adds memories to the heart, experience to your mind,  people to your world, happiness/sadness/anger/ ecstasy/many more such feelings to your emotions.  We begin our  LIFE  with only 1 person in our world - Amma (Mother). We are born and we have 2 people in our world - Mom and Dad. Then we add Sisters, Brothers, Uncles, Aunts, Grandpas, Grandmas, teachers, friends, colleagues, girl friends, boy friends, husband, wife(husbands/wives in some cases), in laws, children, grandchildren and so on. Our world grows as we grow.  It's amazing the way  li...