Skip to main content

Conviction in the Crowd

 There's this excerpt from a book (The Listeners by Maggie Stiefvater) I read last year - 

“This is a war about collective will.

What do we do with the power of the many?

Are we better or worse when we all move together?

Do we wield justice? Do we wield vengeance?”


It had pulled me deep into thoughts and I remember reigning myself back to the book, noting to get back to it later. And that later seems to be today, with all that’s going on right now.


This particular novel’s plot was based on WWII events (so you get the original context), but it made me think in terms of current times. 


My mind was stuck on what "will" means in today’s world. Back in the day, up until about the early 2000s, information we processed was gained with an effort and targeted to our interests. There was no algorithm continuously feeding our brains like today (except our parents nagging. That was constant and had a standard algorithm in all households.)


It was really hard to form an opinion back then, because one lacked quick access to knowledge. Information was passed through newspapers, books, published research papers, news broadcasters, word of mouth from experts in that field etc..- no matter what, it would take a lot of time and effort to learn about any topic.


To finally have a will of our own on any matter meant going through a lot of processing and constant testing of our understanding on the matter. We had to be open to sharing our ideas, letting it be questioned, defending our thoughts through facts and so on. When we eventually arrived at a point of hardening our will on the matter, it was ironclad.


Any other random conversation was just that - loose gossip. Not worth forming an opinion, just a means to vent emotions. And even that was brutally cut off when overdone in social setting. 


Unfortunately, what dominates various platforms today is just that, different shades of gossip wrapped in blind emotions. Anyone and everyone has become a source or propagator of information. Emotions are being packaged and reshared over and over again until it becomes a fact to someone else in another corner of the world. We are living in a universe where sane folks have to put exclusive effort to shield their minds from such noise. With AI in the mix, it’s getting harder to discern verified facts from hoax. 


That is to say, if someone isn’t consciously skeptical, their worldview can slowly become algorithmically curated.


Even if we filter the noise of misinformation or emotionally personalized info; with unlimited access to knowledge these days, it has become a trend to engage in every event/conflict that’s going around the globe. It’s overwhelming for a single mind to process a particular topic in detail and gain enough insight to form an opinion; when it’s distracted with hundred other topics. No one wants to seem ignorant these days, hence people grab information in small 10-second bites.


Like they say, an ignorant person does not know the destination; but a misinformed person has been given the wrong destination. 


Seeing how easily individual opinions are shaped today compared to the past, one can imagine what happens when crowds—or entire nations—march behind beliefs built from them.


When the foundation of one’s will is ironclad, the strength of such collective will is unimaginable. It has led to the creation of civilization, the downfall of power, reform of societies, and much more. But when a swarm of wills is built on a foundation of matchsticks, the structure cannot hold—it will either scatter into ruin or go up in flame.


Which begs the question: In today’s society, 


What do we do with the power of the many?

Are we better or worse when we all move together?

Do we wield justice or just blind vengeance? 


My thought, for what it’s worth: we are doing neither. We lack the conviction to follow either path through to its end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Missing the Golden age of Ghazal & Qawwali!

I was watching Zee Sa Re Ga Ma Pa – a Music competition on YouTube when one of the contestant Ranjit Rajwada sang “ Chupke Chupke Raat Din ” (Ghulam Ali-ji’s Ghazal) and one of the Judge; Shekhar Ravjiani mentioned that now the generation no longer listens to or has interest in Ghazals. And so true it is. I being a South Indian did not have a lot of exposure to Ghulam Ali-ji’s music, but I did grow up listening to Jagjit-ji/Pankaj-ji and have always loved Ghazals. When I started working and going places, mingling with people from different backgrounds, is when I heard Ghulam Ali-ji’s Chupke Chupke for the first time, which was 7 years back. From then I have always maintained a playlist of Ghazals, Qawwalis or Poems of wonderful people like Ghulam Ali, Aziz Nazan, Jagjit Singh, Talat Mahmood, Gulzar, Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Pankaj Udhas, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Javed Akhtar, Sabri Brothers etc.. They are so meaningful, soulful that you just get immersed in them; immensely pe...

Solving Life like a Rubik's cube!

I had bought Rubik's cube around 4 years back I think, and I would just keep turning it's faces around without any logic to see if color's aligned. I knew there was some trick and logic to solve it; but I never had a deep interest in learning it. So it used to lie around in my house with not much success. Last month, I got an urge to check this off my list. So, I sat watching Youtube videos and reading numerous webpages, learning about various tricks/moves to solve the Rubik's cube. I solved it.  Then I scrambled it, to start all over again. I solved it again. I scrambled it again, and redid the process till I memorized it's move so I could solve it without any guidance. During, this process, I learnt something. There were times when I was close to last few steps in solving the cube, then I would make a bad move and cube would get messed up. I would scramble it again, and start over. There was this weird feeling of losing what I have accompli...

Journey of Supertramp - what's your life's version?

Alaska has many reasons to be my favorite, the ultimate wilderness. But here's a pic from Alaska that reminds me of Supertramp. Remember his big game?  Into the wild.  I had read the book a while back, but watched the movie last week on Netflix, kind of got me thinking all over again. It's beautiful yet melancholy  version of how he stripped himself away from the clutches of the society. The way he went from McCandless to Supertramp and during his last days with a quote of "call by it's true name" he goes from Supertramp back to McCandless, is quite an emotional journey. It's one thing to destroy your world and breakaway, but another when you want to return back into that shattered destroyed world.  Not trying to justify the actions of his family, that moulded Chris into Alexander; but they had a painful and emotional journey too. The worst thing that can happen to anyone is not knowing what happened to their loved ones - are they Alive? Dead? Injured? Happy?....

Dear Dost

Dear Dost, I know you are dealing with a lot in life. A lot has happened in the past that has changed you. A lot is happening right now, that is forcing you to change. A lot of decisions you have to make that's exploding your brains.  You are multi tasking like some superhero. You have issues at home, in the family, in your personal life, that you are juggling with. You have professional problems that you are dealing with.  A lot - that's what's happening to you right now.  When I met you, I saw "a lot" has changed in you. I have changed too, and so have you. But what I could not ask you was - are you still you? I remembered Gulzar's words, written back in 1995 (atleast that's what the source says, I had listened to Jagjit Singh singing this, and it had registered in me since then).  din kuchh aise guzārtā hai koī  jaise ehsāñ utārtā hai koī  dil meñ kuchh yuuñ sambhāltā huuñ ġham  jaise zevar sambhāltā hai koī  aaina ...