Skip to main content

Feminism, Indian Society and Liberty - Why can't they walk together?


I read an article today; “Taking the aggression out of masculinity” printed in The Hindu; Jan 3rd 2013; OP-ED section. The writer had done a great job listing out areas that outlines masculinity in our society. I know it’s an old article; I was going through the editorials of this year in preparation for the IAS exams. So what made me start typing out this write-up? I am getting to that.

This article was in response to a dreadful event that shook our country early this year – rape and death of a young woman in Delhi. The author of above mentioned article has done a beautiful job of giving a complete different perspective of finding the cause instead of commenting on the cure. Personally, such events disturb me, to an extent that I get an intense feeling of vomiting when I read or hear such things. A disgusting feeling; A feeling of helplessness; which I cannot express. But I am not here to talk about this event, I probably am not strong enough to visualize such event and comment on it.

In this article, writer has mentioned different dimensions to Indian masculinity and how they originated. I liked the term “Indian Masculinity” because honestly speaking we Indians have completely different perspective of Man and Woman compared to the Western world. The reason I am choosing India vs Western world is because I have been in USA for more than 4 years now and have spent almost a year in UK. I would like to compare few aspects that I have experienced across these 2 realms of world. I cannot comment on the Middle East or other Asian countries since I haven’t lived there. Now, don’t think that I am just another NRI who is attracted to the western culture. I read Bhagvad Gita, meditate, visit temples and have immense interest in studying Indian Culture. So, really my faith in Religion, Customs & Culture has got nothing to do with what I am going to discuss. I just want to give an account of my experiences.

This time I had visited India to write the UPSC Prelims exam for IAS. I visited my relatives and family friends; this being the wedding season in India, there were lot of family gatherings that I got an opportunity to be part of. And you know how those “we care for you” relatives/friends are; all that my relatives could do was show their immense concern towards my parents for me still being SINGLE despite of my age nearing the bar “30”. No one seemed to appreciate the fact of me being a successful professional, an independent person, financial backbone of my family, the only girl in quite far-off relations to be travelling around the world ALONE. This; kind of filled me with disgust for the society surrounding me. My parents unlike others did not restrict me or my sister when it came to education or self-empowerment. I owe what I am today to my parents. They ensured that we get to do what we wanted. But today, they have to listen to this society which blames them for not controlling their daughters or not getting them married off early. 

But looking back, I feel I must also give a share of credit for my success to this same society. When I was a child, in similar family gatherings, these same people had concern for my parents for not having any son; I have grown up listening to comments like “Oh! 2 Daughters? No Sons? How will you manage?”; “Oh! You will have to start saving for their wedding from now itself”; “Don’t educate them highly, you will have difficulty in finding a groom”; “Engineering? Why? Get them married after 12th”; “What, she is going out of town? Don’t give girls so much freedom; it will be difficult to control them.” I don’t know how you feel reading these comments, but trust me; I used to feel like punching them at their face and breaking their nose. Those were the moments, when I decided, if not for anything, I will definitely do something good enough to shut these people for life. Achieve success that guys in our family also haven’t attained. Something for sure before I get married. It was the only reason, why I insisted on going away from home; to live and work independently in this society before I get married. The reason I wanted to do all this before I got married was simple, I did not want to give any credit to the so called husbandly figure for what I achieved. It’s been 8 years since I stepped out of my home and I am much more than what I thought to be. I am myself, which means a lot. My sister is a doctor who will be completing her MD this year.

And as for my relatives, they have definitely stopped saying that we are financial burden anymore. But now they have a new concern; doesn’t look like there is stopping them huh! Now all they recite is when are your daughters getting married? Exactly this mentality of the people - a girl is meant to be a mother and home-maker; depicts the male domination in our society. I am not saying that being a mother or home maker is not a respectable job. Definitely not! My point is – we are not given the liberty to choose; if we want to be a home-maker or say an Architect.

I don’t even have to go outside my family to give an example of how difficult it is for a woman to sustain in Indian society. I am feeling the pressure owing to the society and the so called normal society standard of kids to start a family by their 30’s. I know this topic of marriage is a common problem for both guys and girls. But the pressure on a girl being single in her late 20’s is 1000 times more than an unmarried guy turning 30. Reason - “A guy has to settle; must have enough savings to sustain himself and needs to buy property etc…so it makes sense if guys remain single at 30. But a girl doesn’t need all that” And I don’t blame men of the society completely for all this. It’s primarily the women section of our society which is strengthening the roots of such beliefs.

How is western world different? Simple example – as soon as you meet someone, the immediate question is NEVER “Are you married?” No eyebrows get raised when you say you are single at 30. Woman have equal financial responsibilities of the family as the man; which gives them equal rights to similar education and job; hence equal respect. There are no customs and no festivals like karwa chauth etc… that forces them to worship their husbands as gods. If there is a father’s day, there is a mother’s day. A woman can go to a club at 12 in the night just like any other guy without anyone commenting “Kaise sanskaar hai?” She can dress as she likes without fear of what someone will say. Ogling instances are really rare in public places or public transportation (I have hardly encountered any in USA till date but I don’t miss to get one when in India even on a 10 days’ vacation). There are many more, but I would stop here.

We Indians walk around with the mask of our age old culture. But our culture does not teach to limit the power of a woman. If there is an idol of Lord Shiva-the Destroyer; there is also an idol of Goddess Durga, who is equally strong and destructive. A woman has equal right to define her life on her terms. She has the right to be obsessed about her career that she has built over years of hard work just like any guy would do. Her dreams can include areas outside kitchen and family. She can stay alone and take care of herself without having any dependency on anyone. She can deny giving dowry, Oh Please – if you paid 40 lacs for an MD seat or a house for your son, why the hell should the girl repay it? If your son was incapable of getting a merit seat or buying a house, why should the girl marrying him bear the burden of it? She can also set terms for marriage just like a guy does. Why is it so hard to believe that a girl can reject a guy for not meeting her matrimonial requirements? Even today 90% of the society thinks that a girl who walks in with her head down holding a tray of tea and says “yes” to whatever her parents say is the best bride for them or their sons v/s the girl who speaks openly and asks questions regarding her future after marriage. I mean; what the heck!! 

I am not against the male species. Some of the people who matter a lot in my life, who have supported and given strength to me; do belong to this species whether it be my Dad or Uncle or  Lecturers or few of my best friends. My frustration is against the majority of our society who make it hard for girls to follow their dreams. My anger is towards the fact that girls are not given a choice and worst still are brought up in an environment giving an impression that they cannot live without the support of a man.

So what’s the relation of all this to the article I mentioned in the beginning of this write-up? The writer has given few examples of how different factors like customs, media & entertainment, educational political & judicial institution etc… play a role in setting a social standard for how a man & woman should behave. The account I gave in this article is of very minute level which every girl even in a well-off; well-educated family goes through. What I spoke of so far does not even account for 2% of problems that a woman faces. Even in investigation of cases involving rapes, fingers keep getting pointed on the girl’s character based on the kind of clothe she was wearing, time in the night when she was out, person she was with etc…  not just from the society but also from the judiciaries and police.

I know; things are changing but at a pace where we take 2 steps ahead and are pushed 4 steps back. Sadly, given the current standards of our society we will have to wait for at least 4-5 decades before we can see real equality between these genders. For heaven’s sake; countries in West are arguing on getting Gay marriage legal and we are still fighting for freedom of opinion of a girl in her own marriage, dowry system, inter-caste marriages etc...Forget about gay/lesbians, they are far behind in the game. Sometimes I wish that girl’s become so bold and strong that a day comes when guys walking on the Indian street carry the same fear that girls today walk with. I know, it’s not a fair deal, but what I mean to say is girls should get bold enough to protect themselves not just from physical assault but also from emotional, social, psychological assaults. Girls should start questioning the perspective of our society. Culture & Religion has got nothing to do with demeaning a woman’s standard.

The writer explains that aggression doesn’t define the level of manliness in a guy. On similar lines I wish to say that amount of shyness needn’t define a woman's character or feminism.



 - Sarita
(Dated - 18th June 2013)

Comments

  1. Nice article sari.I completely agree with you on this issue.Infact I can feel the anger/ irritation u carry because of u r relatives nonsense comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Celebrating the Bridge for Friends!

Just like any other bridge, this one plays a role of connecting you and me. Some are brand new, very inviting, clean and pure, presenting to be strong, yet to get exposed to the harsh reality of life. Some have weathered in many seasons, with few bars of railings missing, few broken planks, yet they stand strong, like huge metal bridges.  Some are reinforced with fresh materials every few years, so we stay connected strong and safe for entire lifetime.  Some are beyond repair, standing there rusty and broken. Not because it's impossible to fix the gap, but just waiting for equal support from the other side to mend it. Some were meant to serve one another just once. The need to cross that bridge never arose again, doesn't mean we don't remember how important that bridge was in our journey. To new and old, deep and shallow, strong and weak, connected and broken friendships, I am grateful to have known you one way or another.  Happy Friendships Day! 🍻

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

Reading between the lines

“ What makes you think it’s you? ” She asked cocking her head to her right giving him a studying glance. He thought he was sure, but now looking at her piercing eyes, he wasn’t so sure after all. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair and clearing his throat said “ Well, you know, you always write about broken heart. And ahem, we both know, how that happened. So.. you know, I thought that it’s written around our relationship .” “ Hmm ” she said, straightening and sipping her bourbon.  “ But now looks like I was a fool to think that? ” Now it was his turn to shot that questioning glance. “ You were always a fool. You know that right. But anyway you were my fool! ” She smiled. “ I like the sound of ‘my’ there. But I am getting a feeling there’s no place for it anymore? ” he asked with slight nervousness. “ Tell me Erhan, why are you really here? I have my assumptions but I want to hear it from you. Tell me. ” She leaned forward, throwing her full weight on the table and her full atten...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

SriLanka Backpacking Itinerary - 14 days - One Country - Many Experiences

Finally, I tried to put together the itinerary of the 14 days backpacking trip in SriLanka I did with a friend in December 2019.  Some general notes -  For accommodation, we used Hostelworld.com  ; Booking.com ; Airbnb.ca On an average $7 - $15 USD we get good accommodation in hostel/airbnb. Coconut water - 80 LKR (because I drank a lot of it :)) TukTuk - always suggest you check with locals on what's the average price, so you can negotiate with the drivers better. Bus & train - most preferred mode of transportation, cheap, depending on the time of the day there are chance of it being crowded, but hey - if you want to get the sense of the place and people, go for it. In the expenses I have not included accommodation or food or rides within city.  Used Splitwise app to track my daily expenses. Carry USD in cash. local banks do give good exchange rate if you don't convert everything in Colombo airport. People bank of China did not charge ...

Life a Wonderful Twister

(In response to my Friend Chiru's Blog - Life is a Wonderful Twister. Dated 10/26/2010) Life  ... This 4 lettered word has the entire world woven around it. I always felt if there is anything at all as powerful as this word -  LIFE .  Every word you speak is related to this word directly or indirectly. Everything you see, feel, sense has the essence of  LIFE . Every minute we spend adds memories to the heart, experience to your mind,  people to your world, happiness/sadness/anger/ ecstasy/many more such feelings to your emotions.  We begin our  LIFE  with only 1 person in our world - Amma (Mother). We are born and we have 2 people in our world - Mom and Dad. Then we add Sisters, Brothers, Uncles, Aunts, Grandpas, Grandmas, teachers, friends, colleagues, girl friends, boy friends, husband, wife(husbands/wives in some cases), in laws, children, grandchildren and so on. Our world grows as we grow.  It's amazing the way  li...