Skip to main content

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!!

I have a journal with Buddha’s quotes printed on its pages. Once in a while I flip through the pages until one quote catches my mind and starts its wheel of thoughts. It generally depends on my mood, chain of events in the recent past, probably just the state of mind at that moment which finds some solace in one of those quotes. Yesterday was one such day, when I wanted to put on my thinking cap and do some self-review.  The quote that caught my eyes and mind was

“There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.”

I don’t know why but this quote caught my attention and took me into the world of thoughts, analysis, reasoning, philosophies and self-debates. As soon as my eyes fell on this quote, I suddenly reacted saying I don’t think I agree to this and then I began writing.

I have grown up listening to and eventually believing in the concept of Karma - what you give is what you get. Do good and good things will happen to you, do bad and you will suffer.

But over the years, I have started to question this theory. Definitely it doesn't mean that I will stop being good  :) . Be good, do good stuffs and see goodness in everything and everyone around you. It’s a happy world; isn't it?

Okay, then what the heck is your confusion? Alright, I am getting to that. The quote above made me think – at what cost? I mean, when one said, evil should be present so that the good can be acknowledged, my question is - at what cost? I feel that only a pure heart can appreciate another such being, for rest of the evil world he/she is a fool. The evil will always find ways to use/abuse/hurt the good.

From where I see this world, I feel a lot of goodness is burnt every day in the effort of proving its purity. In Hinduism, we call this period as Kaliyug – a period where, in addition to a lot of other things, goodness is also on its road to extinction.  My point is the goodness we show is respected, appreciated and reciprocated by only such similar good people. The moment the evil starts getting involved, the good is tossed over and over; it undergoes suffering just to prove itself to someone who doesn't understand its language. Why then? I know, it’s the weakness of the good, they can’t think evil. But isn't it unfair, that in the process of making the evil understand the value of goodness, the good suffers?

Let me clarify – by Good I mean anyone who is productive, who uses his resources in whatever potential he can, who does not interfere or try to control someone else’s progress, who does not use other’s shoulders to climb up the ladder, whose objective is to live his life and let others live theirs. I don’t believe that the religious books are sole proprietors of defining guidelines for what good & bad is.

I have come across people in my life, who don’t appreciate goodness, but are well off. They aren't productive but good things happen to them, they get things they want pretty easily without much struggle – in short Life is easy and good for them. On the other hand, there are some people who believe in goodness, who are hardworking but for them life is a struggle, things keep getting difficult – in short Life sucks for them.

Even if the good wants to live, the evil won’t let them live. Then why the good should put in all that effort; instead let everyone become unproductive, insensitive and cheaters.  Well doesn't it run a chill down your spine just thinking about such a world; yeah you are right, pretty much the world is already like that. The smart deserving people are at the bottom of the ladder while the undeserving sit above them and watch. 90% of the results of our work go into the mouth of the evils, whether it is politicians, government officials, the middle man in every business, the agents etc…

Simple example – I come from a family with farming background, I have seen how the farmers invest time, money, energy to produce food, and in the end when it’s time to hit the market, we sell it to the middle man at nearly less than half its price. We know that the market rates are much higher, but obviously no one’s going to buy such large quantity. We don’t have facility to store it, cant travel places to sell it, so end of the day – we compromise, sell it to someone who is going to have major share of what we produced. I don’t say that is completely wrong, what I mean is the ratio of who should get how much is screwed up.  Of course, the middle man is putting in effort in selling it to right parties, storing it etc… But shouldn't the farmers get at least 80% of what they invested and remaining 20% gets distributed to parties involved in later phases? Well it isn't happening,  the way today’s business is working is 80% of the benefit of produced goods (whether it be farming or IT or factories) goes to people sitting 1000 feet above the ground, whether it be in the form of taxes or unwanted bureaucracy or undeserving parties with more control, middle men etc… An actor’s son who doesn't even know acting ends up as a hero – thanks to his father, where as there are hundreds of deserving actors out there who don’t get a chance. It’s not just the work that matters these days. It’s this bureaucracy that matters, and it’s there in every field.

It reminds me of Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged book. What happens to the world when the prime movers go on strike? What will happen if all the thinking minds go on strike? Where will these undeserving unworthy evil folks get their “share” if there is nothing being “produced” at all? This book is in itself an interesting topic on which I intend to write a commentary someday, I am thankful to a friend who suggested this book to me.

So yes, I don’t agree that the evil should have so much power that it can make the good suffer. I don’t agree that in the process of proving its purity the good faces slow death. In fact I don’t agree that good ever should be out in this world trying to prove its worth.

But I guess that’s the law of nature – there is rain after long summers so that you can appreciate the water, at the same time there is summer after winter so that you can appreciate the heat. There is a balance in nature. Nothing is given in abundance. So I think when Buddha (if it were actually his words; if not whoever told this) made that statement, he meant about maintaining that harmony in nature - there should be some bad, so that the good can be appreciated. 

The sad part is, today the evil is in abundance and is getting powerful day by day; there is no balance between the good and bad. In fact, the bad is getting uglier.

The worst fear is the fact that we can’t go back now. It’s a vicious circle, everyone knows they are in it but no one knows the way out of it. Hence the battle between the good, the bad and the ugly continues...

-Sarita.
Dated – 8/5/2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

Missing the Golden age of Ghazal & Qawwali!

I was watching Zee Sa Re Ga Ma Pa – a Music competition on YouTube when one of the contestant Ranjit Rajwada sang “ Chupke Chupke Raat Din ” (Ghulam Ali-ji’s Ghazal) and one of the Judge; Shekhar Ravjiani mentioned that now the generation no longer listens to or has interest in Ghazals. And so true it is. I being a South Indian did not have a lot of exposure to Ghulam Ali-ji’s music, but I did grow up listening to Jagjit-ji/Pankaj-ji and have always loved Ghazals. When I started working and going places, mingling with people from different backgrounds, is when I heard Ghulam Ali-ji’s Chupke Chupke for the first time, which was 7 years back. From then I have always maintained a playlist of Ghazals, Qawwalis or Poems of wonderful people like Ghulam Ali, Aziz Nazan, Jagjit Singh, Talat Mahmood, Gulzar, Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Pankaj Udhas, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Javed Akhtar, Sabri Brothers etc.. They are so meaningful, soulful that you just get immersed in them; immensely pe...

Solving Life like a Rubik's cube!

I had bought Rubik's cube around 4 years back I think, and I would just keep turning it's faces around without any logic to see if color's aligned. I knew there was some trick and logic to solve it; but I never had a deep interest in learning it. So it used to lie around in my house with not much success. Last month, I got an urge to check this off my list. So, I sat watching Youtube videos and reading numerous webpages, learning about various tricks/moves to solve the Rubik's cube. I solved it.  Then I scrambled it, to start all over again. I solved it again. I scrambled it again, and redid the process till I memorized it's move so I could solve it without any guidance. During, this process, I learnt something. There were times when I was close to last few steps in solving the cube, then I would make a bad move and cube would get messed up. I would scramble it again, and start over. There was this weird feeling of losing what I have accompli...