Skip to main content

Then & Now Series - Musing#1: Feminism

What do you think of, when you hear this word? 


Irrespective of your sex, reflect on your thoughts for a couple of minutes. Now, ask an elder in your family the same question, and evaluate their opinion.


Growing up, my dad would say this often to my sister and I; ”I might not leave a fortune behind, but I would like to impart highest level of education in you, which will enable you to make informed decisions or choices in life.” 


And true to his words, he enabled both his daughters to be successful productive members of the society. One an engineer and another a doctor, both working professionals.


Granted, my mom is the most independent woman I have seen in my life, however, far as education she had her reservations. She definitely wanted both of us to be fairly educated, but she, like rest of the society, saw education as a means to an end - which was - a suitable prospect for marriage. So, naturally daughters getting higher degrees would be challenging the hierarchy and shortening the list of potential son-in-laws. The more successful the daughters are, finding a competitive match became harder. Her mantra was, let them study further once they get married. 


And, this was not too long ago either, it’s in this very 21st century, just about 15ish years ago (I am not ancient you see). There was a push back when I wanted to enroll in engineering college, when I wanted to take up a job, when I wanted to move outside my hometown etc..etc.. Despite of all this, I considered myself lucky because even with all the societal prejudices and their own skepticism, my parents respected my choices, which is a privilege I don’t want to make light of. 


The reason I threw in my backstory is to say, I can understand and appreciate women standing their ground in the patriarchal society with little to no support from their own kind. I respect women who defied the society to get decent education and land respectable jobs, who lived their lives battling biases everyday, everywhere. 


The right to vote, the right to equality, the right to freedom, the right to divorce or remarry, abolishing many other orthodox practices regarding women; all of this was and are, understandable and honourable fights.


For women to get equal human rights. This was and should continue to be the heart and soul of feminism. 


The key is “equal human rights”. Man or woman, every individual should earn the respect they deserve. Not for how they are born, but for what they did with their life. And they should have equal opportunities to do what they want with their life.


What people tend to forget is that historically women were never advertised as weak. If anything, they were the driving force in all the stories we were told, whether it’s Artemis of Greece or Cleopatra of Egypt or Goddess Durga of India etc. Goddesses to Queens, Mothers to wives; women have always been respected for their wisdom, strength and endurance in every household. Somewhere in the recent past, women became a symbol of weakness, a butt of all cheesy jokes and jabs (“don’t be such a girl”, “don’t whine like a girl”, “don’t fight like a girl”, “girls are meant to just marry and have kids” etc…). 


Somewhere in the recent past, being a housewife became a not-quite-good-enough role for a woman. Like, if you were “just” a wife, “just” a mother, you were somehow lesser. 


I remember growing up, jabs being made at me for being a girl and what I was lacking or how I was unfit for a multitude of things and a burden to my parents; which no doubt made me pretty angry and determined back then. I just wanted to prove that as a daughter I could do everything for my parents that world expected a son would. (And, it wasn’t as much being like a son, as it was being a strong shoulder to support my parents. The characteristics of strength and stability was, and to a certain degree is still, mapped to masculinity, which in my mind is absolutely fine. Men are physically stronger than women. That’s a fact, and I don’t contest that.). 


But being a housewife in olden days was a very tough occupation. It was manually, emotionally and intellectually labor intensive profession. Maybe today, it’s so much easier since we have got all sorts of machines to help us, that wasn’t the case up until mid-late 19th century. If you talk to your grandmother, you will hear what their daily chores looked like. So I am still uncertain, why or how this role got so discounted.


Anyways, I took up the challenge, I worked through it to be a successful independent woman. And in doing so, I have met some of the most amazing men in my life. 


So it bothers me when I see today’s women demonizing masculinity in the name of feminism. You see, to uplift yourself, you don’t need to condemn others. That’s not the path to equality.


The term “toxic masculinity” is used so liberally in every damn conversation that it’s losing it’s true meaning. Men are being pushed in every relationship to be mindlessly apologetic. My body My choice, Me too etc… are stretching the boundaries beyond limit. 


I agree, that no matter what, how we dress or behave should not be an incentive for others to abuse us. That’s the testament to their character. However, that also does not mean that one goes on defying basic decorum of the society without being accountable for its consequences. For instance, you dress or act in a sexually provocative manner publicly; to make a statement, to garner attention. But attention can come in any shape and form. And when you are at the receiving end of unpopular attention, you are offended. You preach about boundaries, respect, ethics. You play the victim card. 


Here’s the thing though. The very same “freedom” that allows you to behave the way you do, also entitles rest of the society to their opinions and actions. 


Is it right? Of course it is! You reap what you sow. Mindfulness is a two way street. If you can’t apply it at your end, you can’t expect others to apply it towards you either.


Today’s world is a perfect place where Feminism has objectively met it's goal. All we now need is to maintain it. Women have equal opportunity by law around the world, we have access to education, healthcare, politics, job opportunities; in general our own life. Yes, there’s the cringeworthy mindset of some narcissistic men, but that does not define the rest of the mankind. 


Honestly, there’s nothing left for the Feminist activists to do. So now, we are making up stuffs to expand our horizon. We are creating problems, so we can have something new to fight for, to advocate for. Abortion pills over the counter, right to nudity, body shaming, slut shaming, etc…


When our ancestors began the movement, they were living in a world so much worse than ours. But if you talk to any of them, you won’t hear them whine and bitch like most women do today. 


As I mentioned earlier, my mother is a strong smart woman. My grand-mother was a force to be reckoned with. Most of the older generation women I have met in my life, even though uneducated and deemed “just a housewife”, were iron-willed and respected by their families and neighborhood. And they are thankful for how far as a society we have come. 


The way we are moulding the attitude of current generation is heartbreaking., From the tough resolve of earlier generations, where determined women would always find a way in the harshest of environments to prove their ability; to the constant complaining and craving for validation of current generation, who expect things be offered to them on a platter; it’s annoying to say the least.


I have experienced biases, I have fought them within the family and outside in the world, I have seen some of the worst times for being a girl or woman; but it was caused by men and women alike; and I have fought some of the worst nightmares with the support of men. 


So, if you think I am some privileged woman sitting on my high horse making these comments; you are damn right I am, but I went through a lot of shit to climb that high horse. And because I have seen both sides of the coin, I can consciously evaluate some of the righteous claims current feminists make. 


One should always know when it’s the right time to stop. For Feminism, it’s about time.


If we don’t stop now, we will start undoing everything we have accomplished so far. That’s the blood, sweat and lives of hundreds of thousands of women since the 18th century who fought for this cause. Let’s not cheapen their struggles. They don’t deserve that. 


Your privileged righteousness can find a different cause to entertain your social media justice warriors. 


Leave feminism alone. There’s no need to add bells and whistles to it anymore. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Solving Life like a Rubik's cube!

I had bought Rubik's cube around 4 years back I think, and I would just keep turning it's faces around without any logic to see if color's aligned. I knew there was some trick and logic to solve it; but I never had a deep interest in learning it. So it used to lie around in my house with not much success. Last month, I got an urge to check this off my list. So, I sat watching Youtube videos and reading numerous webpages, learning about various tricks/moves to solve the Rubik's cube. I solved it.  Then I scrambled it, to start all over again. I solved it again. I scrambled it again, and redid the process till I memorized it's move so I could solve it without any guidance. During, this process, I learnt something. There were times when I was close to last few steps in solving the cube, then I would make a bad move and cube would get messed up. I would scramble it again, and start over. There was this weird feeling of losing what I have accompli...

Compliment Someone, Because, Why Not?

Last week a customer service lady at self-checkout area of Loblaws walked up to me and asked if I was at the store the previous day. I indeed was.  I was surprised she remembered me, and was also confused as to why would it matter if I showed up on consecutive days. You know how at times your brain goes a million miles per sec and causes you to question all your life choices? I was running all the reasons in my head as to why someone would care about my grocery schedule. So, it was in that slightly confused state I replied, albeit politely “ Yes, I was here yesterday. The huge watermelon I bought did not allow me to complete my entire grocery checklist as I had reached my single trip haul limit, so I am here again to buy rest of my items ”. Meanwhile, my inner voice was shouting “ Why are you justifying your grocery trip to this random lady? Like who cares? ” Me being me, where my face clear as water always shows what I feel inside; she must have seen that confusion clearly danci...