Skip to main content

Take the Awkwardness Out and Share their Silence!

4 years back, a friend of mine lost his father to cancer. It was for the first time when something like this had happened in my friends circle after I grew mature. Back then I dint know how to react to such a situation. Should I call him, would I disturb him, would he even like to talk about it, would it give him comfort or cause him more pain, should I rather mail him and so on? I dint know what to do. I mailed him, called him once and refrained from calling further; thinking he needed some lone time.

It’s the last situation you would want any of your friends to be in. Losing a dad or mom feels like an unimaginable incident. And not having been through it, it makes it more difficult for any of us to deal with it. On August 15th 8:00 AM IST of this year, I was standing in that situation. My parents met with a road accident and my dad passed away on the spot leaving my mom injured. I was here in USA; my relatives and immediate family members dint want to disclose the fact to me. They just kept saying, he was serious and I needed to head back home (India) immediately. But I could feel that things were worse than they were trying to portray. I had a feeling that my dad wouldn't make it. I wished to see him one last time. I was to fly the next day.

Next day morning, a friend of mine left me a message on Facebook saying how sorry he was at my loss. The word “LOSS” struck me like a lightning. Although I knew somewhere that the worse was awaiting, part of me dint want to know it. I knew I dint have time to cry, I knew I had to take care of my Mom and my younger sister, I knew I had to be there for them. And I also knew that the only time I could let my tears flow was during these 22 hours of my journey back to India. You can cry only for a limited time, after that even your tears dry out. That’s what happened to me, on my flight from Denver to Frankfurt I cried. But then, I couldn't; hence leaving me enough lone time to think, both about what has already happened and what I needed to do in future. I knew the toughest time for me was during my dad’s funeral. I knew if I crossed those few hours of funeral activities, if I could keep myself together; I could gather enough strength to handle rest of the responsibilities.

My dad treated me as his son; he never thought less of me. He had immense confidence that I would take care of our family in his absence, and I dint want to let him down. He hated tears especially of his daughters. So I had decided that I will be strong and will not shed even a single drop during his funeral. As I was approaching my home, I could see quite a large crowd, and my heart kept beating faster and faster. In that sea of faces, all I wanted to see was the face of my sister and mom. As I was walking towards the entrance of my home, my sister came running out, hugged me tight and started weeping. It was quite tempting for me to cry at that time, but I knew I shouldn't, and I dint. She did have longest 2 days in her life. I consoled her and we walked in. Dad’s body was kept in the hall. When I saw him, it sent a chill down my spine; one can’t explain that moment; especially when you see the person you love more than yourself like that. I touched him, kissed his forehead. It was like he was in a deep sleep having some beautiful dream; there was a smile on his face. It gave me a satisfaction that he went away happily. My heart was pounding; my entire body was trembling because I was trying to control my emotion. Those were the toughest moments of my life. I went to my mom, hugged and consoled her. And then the rituals began and we cremated him. Throughout the day, a lot of close relatives and family friends met me in tears, but I did not cry.

A month and half later, I got a message that my friend’s dad had passed away due to a diabetic attack. My friend was also in US at that time, and was flying back home (Karnataka).  I was still in India supporting my family, and as soon as I heard this news, I knew I had to meet him. 4 days later, I booked a taxi and drove to his hometown which was 6-7 hours’ drive away from my home, and met his family for the first time. His Ammi, Aapas’, Bhaijaan , Bhabhijaan and cousins; all were at home and I spent some quality time with them. We did not have any great discussions, or any philosophical classes; we just spent some time together, remembering their dad, talking about their family etc…

The point I wanted to make was; most of us find this situation very awkward. I did feel that way too at some point in life. But after having gone through it, I know that all one needs during this time is someone just sitting next to them and sharing their silence. Trust me, if a friend or loved one of yours ends up in such a situation, and if you are in a position to visit him/her personally don’t think twice, pay a visit. If you cannot visit; then call them. It’s quite possible they won’t be able to talk much during this time; don’t feel offended; just say you are there for them and hang up. If you cannot reach them on call; drop a mail, leave a message – but just let them know that you have been keeping them in your thoughts & prayers; you are there for them. It will give them some strength, some relief during this crisis situation.

People during this time don’t need financial help or philosophical preaching; they will have enough relatives and well-wishers for that. They just need a shoulder of a friend to rest their heavy heart, just having someone beside them to listen to their heart.

I did not have the privilege of having any of my friends next to me in person during this tough time, but they were there for me. They checked on me through calls and mails. And I knew they had me in their prayers. Knowing that there are few people out there who will support you in getting through this situation does give you some sort of relief, although life isn't the same after something like this.

Maximus: I knew a man once who said, "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."
Commodus: I wonder, did your friend smile at his own death?
Maximus: You must know. He was your father.
(Dialogues from movie Gladiator (Release Year 2000.)

Yes, my father had a smiling face when he embraced death; such a brave man he was and will always remain my hero. If I can gather enough strength, I will write about him some day.

But in this post, I just wanted to say; however awkward this situation might seem to you; gather enough courage to be with those fighting such a situation; it’s the least you can do but will be of an invaluable support to them.

(Update 3/9/2015 - A Year later I have written another post on how it feels to live life after losing someone you love. http://saritahere.blogspot.com/2015/03/10-things-you-do-after-you-lose-someone.html)
 -Sarita
Dated: 20th December 2013.

Comments

  1. Akka every word you said I could feel it.

    God bless you. You are a brave gal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Akka every word of your's I could feel it.
    God bless you. You are a brave gal. Love you..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Solving Life like a Rubik's cube!

I had bought Rubik's cube around 4 years back I think, and I would just keep turning it's faces around without any logic to see if color's aligned. I knew there was some trick and logic to solve it; but I never had a deep interest in learning it. So it used to lie around in my house with not much success. Last month, I got an urge to check this off my list. So, I sat watching Youtube videos and reading numerous webpages, learning about various tricks/moves to solve the Rubik's cube. I solved it.  Then I scrambled it, to start all over again. I solved it again. I scrambled it again, and redid the process till I memorized it's move so I could solve it without any guidance. During, this process, I learnt something. There were times when I was close to last few steps in solving the cube, then I would make a bad move and cube would get messed up. I would scramble it again, and start over. There was this weird feeling of losing what I have accompli...

Compliment Someone, Because, Why Not?

Last week a customer service lady at self-checkout area of Loblaws walked up to me and asked if I was at the store the previous day. I indeed was.  I was surprised she remembered me, and was also confused as to why would it matter if I showed up on consecutive days. You know how at times your brain goes a million miles per sec and causes you to question all your life choices? I was running all the reasons in my head as to why someone would care about my grocery schedule. So, it was in that slightly confused state I replied, albeit politely “ Yes, I was here yesterday. The huge watermelon I bought did not allow me to complete my entire grocery checklist as I had reached my single trip haul limit, so I am here again to buy rest of my items ”. Meanwhile, my inner voice was shouting “ Why are you justifying your grocery trip to this random lady? Like who cares? ” Me being me, where my face clear as water always shows what I feel inside; she must have seen that confusion clearly danci...