Skip to main content

The Girl with Orange JEEP - On the roads of Utah - Home of Jeeps!!

Well, I had this post title drafted 7 months back, when I bought a Jeep Wrangler (it's Sunset Orange color) and my friend suggested that I should write a blog "The Girl with Orange JEEP". But I did not feel like writing the post. Just to brag that I got a Jeep, and which I have just been using to drive to - from Office or Grocery stores or Malls - Naaah!! Would be insulting the spirit of Jeep!

But today, I am more than excited to write this blog. Yes, about the Girl with an Orange Jeep and her experience on her first long drive; that too to the home of Jeeps - Utah!!

Well, I call my Jeep - AROHAK. (Arohan means Climbing in Sanskrit; Arohak means one who climbs)

The maximum distance that I drove till then was to a mall 19 miles from my home - 20-25 minutes drive - that was it.

So, there were just 2 things I wanted to cover in this trip.

1. Drive my Jeep the entire trip.
2. Photography of Utah Landscape/Arches during Sunrise, Sunset and Night for Star trails.

Below items I backpacked as Photography essentials.



1. Blanket, Jacket
2. Bandaids, Alcohol wipes
3. Compass, Carabiners
4. Pocket Knife
5. LED Headlamp
6. Sunscreen spray
7. All-In-One Survival Credit Card Tool
8. A Nylon Rope, Raincover
9. External Battery Pack, AAA/AA Batteries
10. Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens (With Tiffen UV filter + Circular Polarizer + Lens Hood) - Wide Angle Lens for Landscape Photography
11. Neewer LCD Timer Shutter Release Remote Control - For Star Trail photography
12. Canon 50mm Prime Lens - Just in case, to click Portrait stills of my friends.
13.  Tripod
14. Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash - Backup in case light plays around.
15. Lens cleaning kit.
16. Canon T3i - Camera body of course!



Here was my backpack.

     



Other than these, rest were all travel essentials like Comfortable yet stylish clothes, Cap, Shoes, Food, Toiletries etc... packed in another bag.

We started from Denver at 4 PM MT on Friday 5/27. Stopped at 711 close to our apartment and got the cars fueled. 

Route Map - 

1. Denver, CO to Vernal, UT

    i. 5/27 - Friday - 4:00 PM MT - Started from Denver, CO. It was bright and sunny.

Then there came heavy rain (flash flood kind)...


Then there was snow....This can happen only in Denver...



    ii. 5/27 - Friday - 11:00 PM MT - Entered Utah


This route was very remote, so if you are hitting this path in the night, do plan to pull over and watch the night sky - standing under hemisphere of shining stars, serene and peaceful.



    iii. 5/27 - Friday - 11:45 AM MT - Reached hotel in Vernal, UT

2. Vernal, UT to Flaming Gorge Dam + Red Canyon (Boating)

    i. 5/28 - Saturday - 7:00 AM MT - Woke up, walked around the hotel, had breakfast and checked out of hotel.

    ii. 5/28 - Saturday - 11:00 AM MT - Started from Vernal, UT
Drive to Flaming Gorge

    iii. 5/28 - Saturday - 12:00 PM MT - Reached Flaming Gorge Dam, Did Boating for couple of hours, Had lunch, started at 4 PM MT to Moab, UT.    


Flaming Gorge Bridge
Flaming Gorge Dam

3. Red Canyon to Moab, UT

    i. 5/28 - Saturday - 4 PM MT started from Red Canyon, UT.

On the way explored a dirt road drive..

    ii. 5/28 - Saturday - 9:30 PM MT Reached Moab, UT

This route had some crazy roads up the mountain. There were steep grades, and real crazy U bends. Got some good real time driving practice up there.

4. Moab, UT - Day 1 - 5/29 - Sunday

    i. Wake up at 3:30 AM MT. Started from the Ranch at 4:00 AM MT towards Canyonland National Park.

    ii. Reach Mesa Arch Trail head Parking lot at 5:10 AM MT

    iii. Reach Mesa Arch at 5:28 AM MT. Setup the camera and wait for sunrise.

I had read in one of the blog that there will be enough photographers to block the front line. I still thought that I had a pretty decent start; but SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!! I got the corner seat :-(

Everyone has their camera set, awaiting sunrise.
    iv. Watch the sunrise, click pictures, Enjoy the view until 7:00 AM MT
Click from iPhone. My camera pictures are yet to be processed.
Must say, its worth the effort of early morning wake up and the wait.

    v.  Headed back to the ranch at 7:15 AM MT; Reached at 8:30 AM MT. 

    vi. Caught up some sleep and rest; had brunch and headed out to Arches National Park at 2 PM MT.



    vii. Covered few view points, Arches
         a. Balanced Rock
Haha...That's me! Its places like these which make you feel so tiny!

From Parking lot of Balanced Rock view point.
         b. Fiery Furnace


         c. Sand Dune Arch
View from Sand Dune Arch

Sand Dune Arch

         d. Delicate Arch, Devil's Garden


We did not hike the Delicate arch, a click from it's Lower view point
The first arch you see from top left is Delicate arch.

   viii. Headed to North/South Window for sunset, Enjoyed the sunset at North window until 9:00 PM MT


North Window trail


Sunset at North Window


View of South Window from North Window.

   ix. Headed back to the Condo, cooked dinner, spent some relaxed time with friends. 

5. Moab, UT - Day 2 - 5/30 - Monday

      i. Started from the Condo at 11:00 AM MT.

      ii. Spent some time in downtown, bought souvenirs


      iii. Headed towards Canyonland National Park. 
       
       a. Island in the Sky (near visitor center)


View from Island in the Sky. The mud road that you see is open for off-roading.
       


       b. Mesa Arch
       c. Buck Canyon Overlook
       d. Orange Cliffs Overlook

       e. Ensure you do visit the Gran view point Overlook



Grand View Point - Left side view 

Grand View Point - Right side view 
      
      iv. Dead Horse Point State Park - Dead Horse Point Overlook. It's a beautiful view. We had lunch there.


Dead Horse Point

Then we started heading back to Denver, CO.



I drove and drove, taking bio breaks and refueling Arohak. Then I drove and drove. Sometimes at 60 mph, sometimes at 85 mph, sometimes at 95 mph and then there were times when we were at 25mph. 

We kept telling Arohak - "Bro, you are just a few miles away from HOME. We are almost there and then you can take a longgggg restt!!" It applied more to us as well :D

You see, the last few miles are always the most difficult ones. Whether you are running or working out or driving.

And we were home. I drove 1284 miles in this trip. :-)



Some of the highlights - 

  1. Long Drive is tiring. Drink lot of water - especially on high elevation areas like Denver, Utah.
  2. Driving up/down the mountains with some steep grades and crazy U bends/turns, you will feel a bit dizzy if you are not used to them.
  3. I suffered a lot with burning eyes and headaches - mornings were bright with sun, and nights had headlights of vehicles flashing into your eyes. Slices of cucumber on the eyes gave me a lot of comfort. So yeah - no harm in carrying cotton buds, rose water or cucumber.
  4. Have someone ride with you to click on-the-wheel road pictures, because you really cannot enjoy a lot of view when you are driving at 85/90 mph. A big thank you to my roommate who clicked all these pictures while I was driving :) 
  5. Roads are tempting to get your speeds off the limit. Know the state rules where you are driving. Last thing you want is cops at your tail. Especially in city limits.

Well, no matter how much you plan, there is always room for surprises (like my friend's car tire burst on the way etc..); these surprises make the trip memorable. So sit back, relax and enjoy the drive!!


The Girl with Orange Jeep!!!!!

I loved loved loved roads of Utah, and will visit again just for off roading and hiking! 

-Sarita
Dated - 4th June 2016

(Trip date 27th May through 30th May 2016. One more item from my bucket list checked off!!!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Solving Life like a Rubik's cube!

I had bought Rubik's cube around 4 years back I think, and I would just keep turning it's faces around without any logic to see if color's aligned. I knew there was some trick and logic to solve it; but I never had a deep interest in learning it. So it used to lie around in my house with not much success. Last month, I got an urge to check this off my list. So, I sat watching Youtube videos and reading numerous webpages, learning about various tricks/moves to solve the Rubik's cube. I solved it.  Then I scrambled it, to start all over again. I solved it again. I scrambled it again, and redid the process till I memorized it's move so I could solve it without any guidance. During, this process, I learnt something. There were times when I was close to last few steps in solving the cube, then I would make a bad move and cube would get messed up. I would scramble it again, and start over. There was this weird feeling of losing what I have accompli...

Compliment Someone, Because, Why Not?

Last week a customer service lady at self-checkout area of Loblaws walked up to me and asked if I was at the store the previous day. I indeed was.  I was surprised she remembered me, and was also confused as to why would it matter if I showed up on consecutive days. You know how at times your brain goes a million miles per sec and causes you to question all your life choices? I was running all the reasons in my head as to why someone would care about my grocery schedule. So, it was in that slightly confused state I replied, albeit politely “ Yes, I was here yesterday. The huge watermelon I bought did not allow me to complete my entire grocery checklist as I had reached my single trip haul limit, so I am here again to buy rest of my items ”. Meanwhile, my inner voice was shouting “ Why are you justifying your grocery trip to this random lady? Like who cares? ” Me being me, where my face clear as water always shows what I feel inside; she must have seen that confusion clearly danci...