Skip to main content

Ma Soeur!

Siblings are necessary evil one needs in life. True Story.

I have friends from all age groups - from the second grader to great grand parents. It helps me with conversation around all realms and get viewpoints from all angles. So, while in conversation with a friend in mid thirties who was justifying a need for having a second child, I pulled myself away from them saying am not the best person to comment - considering that I don't understand the need to have even one child, meh! 

Well, so that's when I thought of ma soeur, my lovely sister. I have blogged a few stories about our relation, but today, am just sharing some conversations on how she comes to my rescue when least needed.

Conversation 1 - Me FaceTiming with Amma.

Amma - Aah, I like your dress.What is it? Kurta? I like the full sleeves. very nice. you look good in full sleeves.

(Although I have been out for more than 12 years now, my Amma being the orthodox one, still has hard time seeing me in tank tops and shorts. So although she does not comment on my attire, she definitely shares her delight when she sees me dressed up in traditional wear.)

Me - Nice na. thank you. It is a dress, and now because of work from home, I don't go to office that frequently, I thought I will wear it at home.

Sister comes and peeps into the phone and says "Ask her to stand up and show the full dress." and then walks away.

Me - damn!

Amma - Why what happened? Stand up and show me.

Me stands up, and walks away from the phone to display my naked legs. The dress stood couple of inches above my knees; so was kind of too short for my mom's taste.

And I can see me coming down from the top floor of mom's admiration to basement. 

While she, my only soeur, gives out an evil laughter from her room.

Conversation 2 - Me FaceTiming with Amma.

Amma - I like your t-shirt. Blue color suits you. Get something similar for your sister next time.

My sister sitting on the sofa behind Amma yells without looking up."Ask her to show the back"

Me - Damn you!

Amma - Why what happened to the back?

Me staring at my sister wishing for a power like Cyclops from X-men.

Amma - Show me,.

Me stands up, turns around, and displays my backless yoga t-shirt (you know the ones that have open back.)

Amma - wow, that's quite airy. 

Me - Amma I wear this only for workouts. This is common.

All the while, the devil sits smiling on the sofa.

Conversation 3 - Me back home, working remotely during vacation

(I follow US eastern timezone, when I work occasionally during vacation in India, so that's generally 6 PM to 3 AM IST)

(somewhere in the night around 10/11 PM IST) Amma stroking my hair - My poor baby now has to sit all night and work. She doesn't get to rest at all when she comes home.

Me - It's not too bad, just 2 more meetings.

Sister - Yeah, and those are not critical, so she can just login and sleep. I don't know why they pay her so much for sleeping in meetings.

Me fuming - they are not fools to pay someone for sleeping in meetings.

Sister - but you say that about others, so I thought applies to you as well. 

Me becomes speechless. 

Conversation 4 - Me Facetiming with Amma

Amma was sharing some gossip, while my sister notices I am not wearing my sapphire ring.

(In India especially in Hindu religion, people believe in birth stones to have power to bring in good health, luck etc.. my birth stone is Blue Sapphire - Neelam to please the most powerful planet Saturn, hence making it a powerful stone in the family.)

Sister - Where's your ring?

Me - Arey, it rubs real bad during weight lifting, so I have taken it off. Don't tell Amma.

Sister - Amma, look she is not wearing the ring.

Me Facepalm!

Amma - What? Why? How many times I have told you not to take it lightly?

Me - No Amma, I just took it off for workout. 

Amma - Why do you have to take it off at all? You just do stuffs to trouble me.

Me again stare at my sister wishing for Cyclops power and say - You happy now? 

Sister - Of course. I was the one who had to run around stores to get that ring fixed. Of course am happy now.


Conversation 5 - Me Facetiming with Amma on some Saturday last year

Me pouring beer into a glass tell my sister - feeling like having beer this afternoon.

Amma walks in, asks as usual with lots of love and affection - what are you doing ma? Had breakfast? or is it lunch time already?

Me - No ma, got up late, almost lunch time, have some leftovers from yesterday, will heat that up.

Sister - Yeah and she already is on her first beer.

Me growls like grizzly bear.

Amma yelling - What? Beer? in the morning?

Me - No ma, it's not morning. It's 12:30 in the noon here. 

Amma - But still, why did you start drinking at home? Beer is not good for health. I don't understand you kids. 

Me - No ma, I had couple of bottles left from the house party yesterday, so just thought of finishing them off on weekend. Am not alcoholic ma, don't worry.

Amma - No alcoholic admits that they are alcoholic. I can't understand you kids.

Me again stares at my sister, deeply wishing for powers to vanish her from the scene; for making my perfectly peaceful Saturday into a melodramatic saga.

Well, you get the idea. I can go on and on. Of course siblings are evil, alright. But hey, what fun is life without them. Siblings - ones that you tend to love and hate equally. So yeah, she is evil, but she is my necessity, ma soeur.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

Missing the Golden age of Ghazal & Qawwali!

I was watching Zee Sa Re Ga Ma Pa – a Music competition on YouTube when one of the contestant Ranjit Rajwada sang “ Chupke Chupke Raat Din ” (Ghulam Ali-ji’s Ghazal) and one of the Judge; Shekhar Ravjiani mentioned that now the generation no longer listens to or has interest in Ghazals. And so true it is. I being a South Indian did not have a lot of exposure to Ghulam Ali-ji’s music, but I did grow up listening to Jagjit-ji/Pankaj-ji and have always loved Ghazals. When I started working and going places, mingling with people from different backgrounds, is when I heard Ghulam Ali-ji’s Chupke Chupke for the first time, which was 7 years back. From then I have always maintained a playlist of Ghazals, Qawwalis or Poems of wonderful people like Ghulam Ali, Aziz Nazan, Jagjit Singh, Talat Mahmood, Gulzar, Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Pankaj Udhas, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Javed Akhtar, Sabri Brothers etc.. They are so meaningful, soulful that you just get immersed in them; immensely pe...

Solving Life like a Rubik's cube!

I had bought Rubik's cube around 4 years back I think, and I would just keep turning it's faces around without any logic to see if color's aligned. I knew there was some trick and logic to solve it; but I never had a deep interest in learning it. So it used to lie around in my house with not much success. Last month, I got an urge to check this off my list. So, I sat watching Youtube videos and reading numerous webpages, learning about various tricks/moves to solve the Rubik's cube. I solved it.  Then I scrambled it, to start all over again. I solved it again. I scrambled it again, and redid the process till I memorized it's move so I could solve it without any guidance. During, this process, I learnt something. There were times when I was close to last few steps in solving the cube, then I would make a bad move and cube would get messed up. I would scramble it again, and start over. There was this weird feeling of losing what I have accompli...