Skip to main content

Ghosted?


 
“Ghosting — end a personal relationship with (someone) suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication.”


Hah!! Go figure! There’s an actual definition for what we face more often than we think. 


I had heard the word “Ghosted” in casual conversations before, but I never thought of it in a serious context.


I was intrigued. So I did some research. And found more to it. In summary, it’s known to have serious psychological effects. A bunch of studies out there if you want to read up.


Having been “ghosted” quite a number of times until fairly recently, I now see how what I felt could be a pretty serious emotional phase for a lot of people. 


Like the researchers stated - The worst aspect of ghosting is that it not only makes people question the quality of the relationship but it will most likely make them question themselves. If you ghost someone who has low self-esteem, they will probably take the blame on themselves and receive yet another blow to their self-confidence.


Back in the days, I was very keen on keeping people close to me, keeping the relationship going. I had just started living away from my family, with my then friends and I treated them as precious. Don’t get me wrong, I still do, but back then, letting go wasn’t something I knew as an option. Because in families, you don’t let go, like ever. So when I had a fallout with couple of my very close friends, and they “ghosted” me, I remember going out of my way for almost a year, trying to reach out, apologizing fervently over emails, messages, texts etc..; for something I didn’t even know what/where went wrong. Now that I think back, I wonder how did I even survive it without really breaking apart. This was way back in 2006-2008.


It’s true you know. If you are ghosted, you are at a defense for an offense that you have no idea about. It’s like fighting a battle in the dark, not knowing what or who you are actually fighting. It’s so so frustrating, that it gets to you. And it’s no joke. 


We humans, are wired to constantly evaluate things; the why’s always haunt us. And having no closure in a relationship is the worst case scenario for an unanswered ‘why’.


And ghosting is a weird setup, where actually the person who is ghosting is the one with weak resolution, but it’s the one who is ghosted, is made to feel like a loser. It’s just amazing how all of this has become ‘normal’. Escaping confrontation has become a way of life, albeit an easy one. But is it really? 


Like a friend said, people tend to push things under the rug, running away from the situations, thinking they have solved the problem. As if not talking about it is the trick. But have they really solved it? Thing is, they haven’t. And this, I am saying from my own experience. 


The person who is ghosted, the ‘victim’ actually comes to terms with the situation eventually, and moves on. Some like me fairly easily, some who are more sensitive with considerable difficulties. Some make peace with it, some play the blame card; basically we makeup a satisfactory answer to our ‘Why’ and we either forgive or forget. Time does that. 


While, the one’s who are ghosting, who usually do it to avoid immediate consequences of their actions, not having to own up their act, so that they don’t shoulder any guilt for what they did - all because they cannot stomach the emotional effort needed to get through the conflict the right way. They don’t realize that it’s a temporary solution for them. It eventually catches up with them. And they will, someday reach out to you to get the closure. Because they are humans too. And at some point, they will need a closure too. 


And here's how I know that.


These friends who had ghosted me way back in 2006/2007, eventually reached out to me on Facebook chat, one in 2017, one in 2019, pretty much saying, whatever happened back then was just hard times, and for me to not have hard feelings. The funny part is, they were so far back in my memory, that when I saw their text, I didn’t know if I felt anything at all. After more than 10 years of no contact, I had no recollection of them or of what had actually happened. So seeing that text left me blank for a moment and then of course I smiled. 


You know, I have deep sympathy for them. ‘Coz I can’t imagine the courage it takes to reach out to someone they have cut off for years, face the ones whom they have ghosted, it’s a pretty huge effort. Just that, it’s an effort that does not command respect or credibility. 


I am not here to judge them. I can understand why they would take that path, it’s just that I don’t agree with it. But what concerned me the most is how this is becoming a new-age-normal. A society where it’s okay to ghost someone and to be ghosted.  


All in all, if you are being ghosted, don't be hard on yourself, find a way that's least self-afflicting and get over it. You deserve better. And if you are the one ghosting someone, roll back those shoulders of yours, lift up that chin, and look into the eyes of your reflection in a mirror; and do what it takes so that you don't flinch at the thought of what you have put that someone through.


On a lighter note, this meme I came across today makes even more sense; it’s from one of my favourite comicstrip on insta @dinosandcomics . Isn’t it true? 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Celebrating the Bridge for Friends!

Just like any other bridge, this one plays a role of connecting you and me. Some are brand new, very inviting, clean and pure, presenting to be strong, yet to get exposed to the harsh reality of life. Some have weathered in many seasons, with few bars of railings missing, few broken planks, yet they stand strong, like huge metal bridges.  Some are reinforced with fresh materials every few years, so we stay connected strong and safe for entire lifetime.  Some are beyond repair, standing there rusty and broken. Not because it's impossible to fix the gap, but just waiting for equal support from the other side to mend it. Some were meant to serve one another just once. The need to cross that bridge never arose again, doesn't mean we don't remember how important that bridge was in our journey. To new and old, deep and shallow, strong and weak, connected and broken friendships, I am grateful to have known you one way or another.  Happy Friendships Day! 🍻

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

Reading between the lines

“ What makes you think it’s you? ” She asked cocking her head to her right giving him a studying glance. He thought he was sure, but now looking at her piercing eyes, he wasn’t so sure after all. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair and clearing his throat said “ Well, you know, you always write about broken heart. And ahem, we both know, how that happened. So.. you know, I thought that it’s written around our relationship .” “ Hmm ” she said, straightening and sipping her bourbon.  “ But now looks like I was a fool to think that? ” Now it was his turn to shot that questioning glance. “ You were always a fool. You know that right. But anyway you were my fool! ” She smiled. “ I like the sound of ‘my’ there. But I am getting a feeling there’s no place for it anymore? ” he asked with slight nervousness. “ Tell me Erhan, why are you really here? I have my assumptions but I want to hear it from you. Tell me. ” She leaned forward, throwing her full weight on the table and her full atten...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

SriLanka Backpacking Itinerary - 14 days - One Country - Many Experiences

Finally, I tried to put together the itinerary of the 14 days backpacking trip in SriLanka I did with a friend in December 2019.  Some general notes -  For accommodation, we used Hostelworld.com  ; Booking.com ; Airbnb.ca On an average $7 - $15 USD we get good accommodation in hostel/airbnb. Coconut water - 80 LKR (because I drank a lot of it :)) TukTuk - always suggest you check with locals on what's the average price, so you can negotiate with the drivers better. Bus & train - most preferred mode of transportation, cheap, depending on the time of the day there are chance of it being crowded, but hey - if you want to get the sense of the place and people, go for it. In the expenses I have not included accommodation or food or rides within city.  Used Splitwise app to track my daily expenses. Carry USD in cash. local banks do give good exchange rate if you don't convert everything in Colombo airport. People bank of China did not charge ...

Life a Wonderful Twister

(In response to my Friend Chiru's Blog - Life is a Wonderful Twister. Dated 10/26/2010) Life  ... This 4 lettered word has the entire world woven around it. I always felt if there is anything at all as powerful as this word -  LIFE .  Every word you speak is related to this word directly or indirectly. Everything you see, feel, sense has the essence of  LIFE . Every minute we spend adds memories to the heart, experience to your mind,  people to your world, happiness/sadness/anger/ ecstasy/many more such feelings to your emotions.  We begin our  LIFE  with only 1 person in our world - Amma (Mother). We are born and we have 2 people in our world - Mom and Dad. Then we add Sisters, Brothers, Uncles, Aunts, Grandpas, Grandmas, teachers, friends, colleagues, girl friends, boy friends, husband, wife(husbands/wives in some cases), in laws, children, grandchildren and so on. Our world grows as we grow.  It's amazing the way  li...