Skip to main content

Ghosted?


 
“Ghosting — end a personal relationship with (someone) suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication.”


Hah!! Go figure! There’s an actual definition for what we face more often than we think. 


I had heard the word “Ghosted” in casual conversations before, but I never thought of it in a serious context.


I was intrigued. So I did some research. And found more to it. In summary, it’s known to have serious psychological effects. A bunch of studies out there if you want to read up.


Having been “ghosted” quite a number of times until fairly recently, I now see how what I felt could be a pretty serious emotional phase for a lot of people. 


Like the researchers stated - The worst aspect of ghosting is that it not only makes people question the quality of the relationship but it will most likely make them question themselves. If you ghost someone who has low self-esteem, they will probably take the blame on themselves and receive yet another blow to their self-confidence.


Back in the days, I was very keen on keeping people close to me, keeping the relationship going. I had just started living away from my family, with my then friends and I treated them as precious. Don’t get me wrong, I still do, but back then, letting go wasn’t something I knew as an option. Because in families, you don’t let go, like ever. So when I had a fallout with couple of my very close friends, and they “ghosted” me, I remember going out of my way for almost a year, trying to reach out, apologizing fervently over emails, messages, texts etc..; for something I didn’t even know what/where went wrong. Now that I think back, I wonder how did I even survive it without really breaking apart. This was way back in 2006-2008.


It’s true you know. If you are ghosted, you are at a defense for an offense that you have no idea about. It’s like fighting a battle in the dark, not knowing what or who you are actually fighting. It’s so so frustrating, that it gets to you. And it’s no joke. 


We humans, are wired to constantly evaluate things; the why’s always haunt us. And having no closure in a relationship is the worst case scenario for an unanswered ‘why’.


And ghosting is a weird setup, where actually the person who is ghosting is the one with weak resolution, but it’s the one who is ghosted, is made to feel like a loser. It’s just amazing how all of this has become ‘normal’. Escaping confrontation has become a way of life, albeit an easy one. But is it really? 


Like a friend said, people tend to push things under the rug, running away from the situations, thinking they have solved the problem. As if not talking about it is the trick. But have they really solved it? Thing is, they haven’t. And this, I am saying from my own experience. 


The person who is ghosted, the ‘victim’ actually comes to terms with the situation eventually, and moves on. Some like me fairly easily, some who are more sensitive with considerable difficulties. Some make peace with it, some play the blame card; basically we makeup a satisfactory answer to our ‘Why’ and we either forgive or forget. Time does that. 


While, the one’s who are ghosting, who usually do it to avoid immediate consequences of their actions, not having to own up their act, so that they don’t shoulder any guilt for what they did - all because they cannot stomach the emotional effort needed to get through the conflict the right way. They don’t realize that it’s a temporary solution for them. It eventually catches up with them. And they will, someday reach out to you to get the closure. Because they are humans too. And at some point, they will need a closure too. 


And here's how I know that.


These friends who had ghosted me way back in 2006/2007, eventually reached out to me on Facebook chat, one in 2017, one in 2019, pretty much saying, whatever happened back then was just hard times, and for me to not have hard feelings. The funny part is, they were so far back in my memory, that when I saw their text, I didn’t know if I felt anything at all. After more than 10 years of no contact, I had no recollection of them or of what had actually happened. So seeing that text left me blank for a moment and then of course I smiled. 


You know, I have deep sympathy for them. ‘Coz I can’t imagine the courage it takes to reach out to someone they have cut off for years, face the ones whom they have ghosted, it’s a pretty huge effort. Just that, it’s an effort that does not command respect or credibility. 


I am not here to judge them. I can understand why they would take that path, it’s just that I don’t agree with it. But what concerned me the most is how this is becoming a new-age-normal. A society where it’s okay to ghost someone and to be ghosted.  


All in all, if you are being ghosted, don't be hard on yourself, find a way that's least self-afflicting and get over it. You deserve better. And if you are the one ghosting someone, roll back those shoulders of yours, lift up that chin, and look into the eyes of your reflection in a mirror; and do what it takes so that you don't flinch at the thought of what you have put that someone through.


On a lighter note, this meme I came across today makes even more sense; it’s from one of my favourite comicstrip on insta @dinosandcomics . Isn’t it true? 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Life Humbles You

When you are planning life, life makes it's own plans and often takes you by surprise. Not that you grow arrogant knowingly, but we all tend to take life for granted while on our mission to success. There are often times when we oversee simpler yet most important ingredients of life. I believe that's when someone takes control of  life  to put a brake and slow you down. It has various innovative ways to slow you down. Nothing uncommon in the world, but definitely very new to you. I have always been slowed down by life, ever time I rushed through doing tens of thousands of things. Now looking back, I think once every 2-3 years, I am pulled over the freeway of life for speeding. This time it was my health. I have been an anti doctor anti hospital person despite of coming from family of doctors. I believe in home remedies. Steam will take care of my cold; drink some herbs for immunity, tolerate pain without painkillers, go to gym or running when you have headache so on and

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live with it your e

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many more

Don't let the tamed ones tell you how to LIVE!

I came across this image on someone’s Facebook wall; and I couldn’t resist it. It triggered various thoughts in me that I was compelled to write a blog. I spent major part of my last decade trying to get things settled in; to plan for a backup with a backup so I could do something seriously adventurous. But it was not until late last year that I realized I should no longer wait for a timeline to stabilize professionally, financially, personally to pursue my interests. I don't need to follow a linear approach.  I don't think I can ever have enough savings to quit the job and pursue hiking/travelling/painting full time (and well, I am not a lottery person either). And I don't think I want to quit the job in the first place, I want to continue supporting my needs.  One thing that I did, last few years was try and pursue my interest whenever I got a chance. But what I started doing since last 6 months is, to create those opportunities to pursue my interests; and align

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my life look like? What if I h

Where art thou? Thy trail is waiting!

Been a while. And am growing restless day by day.  For once, am missing that one companion, one person in my life; whom I could drag into my craziness happily. I just need that one friend who shares my interest in hiking - badly need a hiking partner. I have been sketching so many plans in my head, scrounging blogs by through hikers around the world. It’s not a one day or one week hike. I have been itching to do a through hike - GHT, PCT, AT, GPT, CDT,  Tokai, Wales coast path, Sentiero Italia etc.. etc.. Thousands of miles that will take months on trail in wilderness. There are folks hiking for years at a stretch - (check out Bethany Hughes and Lauren Reed at Her-Odyssey covering America to America 20000 miles in 5 years, starting 2015 - still going strong) - I badly want to do something like that. But I can’t think of doing any of those alone. At times I feel I will make friends along the way, will meet people as I hike, so I should be fine. But I enjoy company of people as mu

My Favorite Read - 6 - The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev (and Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer)

So, now that I want to get into some serious mountaineering activities, I started with reading books on mountains. When you check for top few books on mountains the one that comes up is " Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer " followed by “  The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev" ; both based on the 1996 Everest disaster which was made quite controversial. I started with "Into Thin Air' and while I was reading, I was continuously in conflict with Jon's views. Mind you, my memory is pretty weak when it comes to remembering details of any story - whether its books or movies. I had watched few documentaries and the Everest movie based on this topic; but that was a while ago. when I started reading this book 2 weeks back, I had no background; you can say I was totally new to this story.  And yet, it was difficult for me to understand some of Jon's accusations or feelings.  But nevertheless, Jon's style of writing was amazing; he knew how to keep reader's

I was young and stupid!

"So, tell me. What's your learning from life? What is that one thing you absolutely loved doing or you regret not doing? That one thing if you have to call it out, that one thing keeps coming back at you." I asked looking at him. Desmund said "Oh yeah absolutely, I regret not being a pilot." driving past the signal. Desmund was a Jamaican in his late sixties who has lived in Ontario for over 30 years now, who worked in hospital then worked as realtor and now works in an auto care, where I met him last week after I dropped my Jeep for servicing. He was handling my pickup and drop off. I said " Okay. Why dint you do it, what stopped you, money, family etc..?" He - " Oh, I was just young and stupid. Very egoistic back then. I was 19, was in London. I wanted to join RAF, but I was trying a back door route. They said you can work as a steward for a year, and then you can train for a pilot. It was still part of Royal airforce you know. But I wa

Home is a house without loved ones!

Home is a house without loved ones! It was September 24th 2005 when I left my home and since then till now I have been to home like some far away relative staying out of town, visiting our family once or twice in a year during diwali or New Year or some ones wedding. A guest in my own home! I joined this software industry on 26th September 2005 in Mysore, then I travelled to Pune in 2006 for a year and then to Bangalore in 2007 for one more year and then to London in 2008 for roughly a year and now in USA-2009. In all these 4 years, I have been busy. Busy getting adjusted to life outside home, for the one who has never stayed out of home, in even a hostel before – to handle this freedom yes definitely thrilling J, seeing new places, making new friends, keeping in touch with old ones. Professional career, half yearly appraisal fights, CRRs, freaking and idiotic managers, some stupid colleagues, some shrewd ones, and some of your own frequency. All this while, I did not really miss my ho

Why "Wake Up Sid" movie is my favorite :)

I am very selective about the Bollywood movies that I choose to watch. I don’t like the typical commercial, masaledar movies without any storyline, characters, screenplay and acting. Most of them are ruled out just by looking at the Name of the movie, its banner, its actors and director. And some which pass these filter criteria get eliminated when I watch their trailers. Very few end up in my watch list. And some movies I end up watching forcibly with my family or friends. Wake up Sid was one such movie, that I came across because my friends chose to watch that movie over tea 4 yrs back. We never completed watching that movie; couple of them found it boring and we got deviated from watching the movie into some other matargashti . I think 2 years back, when I was finding something to watch, I picked up this movie – just because I wasn’t finding anything appealing to watch. And I simply fell in love with this movie despite of its weak story. Konkana Sen is a talented actress