Skip to main content

SriLanka Backpacking Itinerary - 14 days - One Country - Many Experiences

Finally, I tried to put together the itinerary of the 14 days backpacking trip in SriLanka I did with a friend in December 2019. 

Some general notes - 
  • For accommodation, we used Hostelworld.com ; Booking.com; Airbnb.ca
  • On an average $7 - $15 USD we get good accommodation in hostel/airbnb.
  • Coconut water - 80 LKR (because I drank a lot of it :))
  • TukTuk - always suggest you check with locals on what's the average price, so you can negotiate with the drivers better.
  • Bus & train - most preferred mode of transportation, cheap, depending on the time of the day there are chance of it being crowded, but hey - if you want to get the sense of the place and people, go for it.
  • In the expenses I have not included accommodation or food or rides within city. 
  • Used Splitwise app to track my daily expenses.
  • Carry USD in cash. local banks do give good exchange rate if you don't convert everything in Colombo airport. People bank of China did not charge us any fees when we converted. (more notes end of this blog)
Below is the marking on maps for the route we followed - 

Day 1 - 
Travel - Landed in Negombo airport. 
Mode of Transportation - Cab from Negombo to Sigriya. (would suggest bus if you have time, we were running short on time)
Stay - Nalini Song Hostel, Sigriya.
Highlights - well nothing much, airport experience, chaos in deciding whether to take the cab, drive to Sigriya was beautiful.







Day 2 - 
Travel - Sigriya to Polonnaruwa and back to Sigriya Hostel.
Mode of Transportation -Cab
Stay - Nalini Song Hostel, Sigriya. (Good Hostel, definitely suggest it)
Highlights - Ancient city of Polonnaruwa, Quadrangle, Polonnaruwa ruins.
Expense - Entrance ticket -2275 LKR/person


Polonnaruwa Ruins

Day 3 - 
Travel - Sigriya - Dambulla - Kandy 
Mode of Transportation - Cab
Stay - Jay's Bunk Hostel, Kandy.(a bit crampy rooms but good vibe)
Highlights - Pirdungala Rock trek, view of Lions rock, Dambulla Rock cave temple
Expense - Entrance ticket to Pidrungala - 410 LKR/person, and Rock cave temple-500 LKR/person.
Pidrungala Hike, Lions Rock view


Dambulla Rock Cave temple

Day 4 - 
Travel - Explore Kandy
Mode of Transportation - Walk
Stay - Jay's Bunk Hostel, Kandy.
Highlights - Kandy Lake, Tooth Relic temple, Kandy City
Expense - Tuktuk - roughly 400LKR.



Day 5 -
Travel - Kandy to Hatton to Maskeliya to Delhousie
Mode of Transportation - Kandy to Hatton train (scenic route), Bus from Hatton to Maskeliya, Bus from Maskeliya to Delhousie
Stay - White House, Delhousie. (Good Stay - definitely suggest this place)
Highlights - Scenic Drives
Expense - Train Ticket - 150 LKR. Bus to Maskeliya - 50LKR. Bus to Delhousie - 50 LKR.





Day 6 -
Travel - Delhousie to Hatton to Nuwara Eliya
Mode of Transportation - Bus from Delhousie to Hatton, Bus from Hatton to Nuwara Eliya
Stay - Blue Moon Guest House, Nuwara Eliya. (decent place, good location, but you have lot of other options)
Highlights - Adam's Peak trek for sunrise in Delhousie (2 AM to 8 AM. Had Breakfast and left for Eliya), scenic drives, Explore city of Nuwara Eliya, Oldest Post Office of Sri Lanka.
Expense - Bus tickets - 280 LKR.
Adam's Peak


Nuwara Eliya Town, Top pic is of Oldest post office in SriLanka.

Day 7 -
Travel - Nuwara Eliya to Ella
Mode of Transportation - Bus from Nuwara Eliya to Nanu Oya (15 mins), Train from Nanu Oya to Ella
Stay - Ceylon backpacker's hostel (was okay, would suggest Hangover hostel) .
Highlights - Beautiful view from the train. 
Expense - Bus Ticket - 30 LKR, Train ticket - 150 LKR.



Day 8 -
Travel - Explore Ella
Mode of Transportation - None
Stay - Ceylon backpacker's hostel .
Highlights - Little Adam's Peak trek, Cafes (definitely suggest Starbeans and Cafe Chill), Ravana Caves. 
Expense - TukTuk - 200 LKR.

Little Adam's Peak trek

Day 9 - 
Travel - Ella to Weligama
Mode of Transportation - Bus (5 to 5.5 hours)
Stay - Rise AirBnB (would definitely suggest. Awesome stay).
Highlights - Nine Arches Bridge in Ella (Train time is 9:20 AM), Halpe Tea Factory Tour (suggested for tea lovers, its knowledgeable), Caught Bus to Weligama at 2 PM, Authentic Italian dinner at Rise, walk by the beach in moonlight
Expense - Halpe Tea Factory - 500 LKR, Bus Ticket to Weligama - 300 LKR, tuktuk charges for half day in Ella.
Nine Arches Bridge

Day 10 - 
Travel - Explore Mirissa &Weligama
Mode of Transportation - Tuktuk, Bus 
Stay - Rise AirBnB.
Highlights - Cafes, Coconut Tree Hill, Parrot Rock Bridge, Mirissa beaches, sunset yoga ('Now Yoga Begins' yoga studio - definitely suggest this place, it's so relaxing)
Expense - Yoga - 1500 LKR, Bus tickets between Weligama and Mirissa is 25-30 LKR per person.


Mirissa Beach, Coconut Tree Hill, Palm Yoga Studio

Day 11 - 
Travel - Explore Mirissa & Weligama
Mode of Transportation - Bus 
Stay - Rise AirBnB.
Highlights - Beaches, Cafes, the Doctor's house Pub (must visit this place, oh my god, i loved the vibe!!) .(Would suggest Beach swing in Dalawella beach if you get a chance)
Expense - The Doctor's house entrance ticket - 1000 LKR(worth it for the amazing crowd and live music).
Weligama Beach

Day 12 - 
Travel - Weligama to Galle
Mode of Transportation - Bus 
Stay - Curry Leaf Hostel, Galle Fort (Location is awesome, in the heart of the dutch fort. but Hostel in itself is just decent, not too great. Everyone comes here due to it's convenient location I believe) .
Highlights - Amazing photographic spots in the dutch fort, Cafes, Art houses, restaurants, Sunset walk by the Fort.
Expense - Bus Ticket - 60 LKR.
Galle Lighthouse, Fort area



Streets of Galle Dutch Fort Area.. Lovely backdrops



Day 13 - 
Travel - Galle to Colombo Fort 
Mode of Transportation - Bus (to Kaduwela)
Stay - Groove House Hostels (Very good and safe location).
Highlights - Breakfast in Galle, dropped postcards, Bus to Colombo fort, explore the city
Expense - Bus Ticket to Kaduwela - 450 LKR.




Day 14 - 
Travel - Colombo to Negombo
Mode of Transportation - TukTuk 
Stay - Groove House Hostels.
Highlights - Breakfast at Seed Cafe (loved it), Noritake factory outlet (shopping for some gold & platinum handcrafted ceramics), Sunset walk by the Galle Face Beach, cafes,  Dutch Hospital pub.
Expense - Uber Tuktuk to airport 1100 LKR.


  • SriLanka is Solo Backpackers haven. You will find so many solo travellers in the hostels, and you will be surprised how many friends you will make during the trip.
  • It is very safe for female travellers. Did not encounter any problems in the north. In Southside did encounter some catcalling, but that could be ignored. And of course a lot of people asking for selfies, that might throw you off. But none of these were very offensive. Overall experience is definitely nice and friendly.
  • It did rain everyday in the north and it's quite cold. So if you are planning for Horton's plain, Ella, Eliya, Sigriya etc.. - carry a rain jacket and some warm clothes.
  • Don't have a rigid plan, be flexible to derail from your plan based on what you find along the way. We threw out our original plan the first night in Sigriya :)
  • Do Visa on arrival if you have sometime. It's free. We paid online to get visa before hand which was unnecessary.
  • All temples require you to cover below the knees and arms. so no tank tops or shorts. Black is not allowed either. we saw the locals wearing white dresses. But as long as you are covered below knees, you should be fine.
  • You will find a lot of Buddha statues wherever you go.
  • Do try local cuisine - Sambhaal, rice, wraps, fish curry, Kottu rotti etc...
  • Lots of mosquitoes, so if you hate them carry your weapons :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Compliment Someone, Because, Why Not?

Last week a customer service lady at self-checkout area of Loblaws walked up to me and asked if I was at the store the previous day. I indeed was.  I was surprised she remembered me, and was also confused as to why would it matter if I showed up on consecutive days. You know how at times your brain goes a million miles per sec and causes you to question all your life choices? I was running all the reasons in my head as to why someone would care about my grocery schedule. So, it was in that slightly confused state I replied, albeit politely “ Yes, I was here yesterday. The huge watermelon I bought did not allow me to complete my entire grocery checklist as I had reached my single trip haul limit, so I am here again to buy rest of my items ”. Meanwhile, my inner voice was shouting “ Why are you justifying your grocery trip to this random lady? Like who cares? ” Me being me, where my face clear as water always shows what I feel inside; she must have seen that confusion clearly danci...

Radha-Krishan jaisi jodi hai!! But Why?

I was with couple of my friends on a trip earlier this month, when we landed on the topic of Radha while listening to the song “ Radha on the dance floor, Radha wants to party …” from the movie Student of the Year . My friend suddenly told “ Isn’t our culture a little strange? Although Radha and Krishna were never married, every time people see a good couple they say “ RadhaKrishan jaisi Jodi hai! ”(ie. Couple like Radha-Krishna). ” For those who aren’t familiar with Hindu mythology; Radha & Krishna appear in the Dvapara Yuga which is the 3 rd out of four yugas (4 th one being Kali Yuga, the current one that we all are part of). Radha is considered an incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi and Krishna is the Eighth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Radha and Krishna are most popularly known and worshipped as RadhaKrishna – in one form. Radha is Krishna’s supreme beloved and his childhood friend. Acrylic Painting of Krishna with his Flute - By Me. The Lord and His consort are refe...