Skip to main content

Reading between the lines

“What makes you think it’s you?” She asked cocking her head to her right giving him a studying glance.


He thought he was sure, but now looking at her piercing eyes, he wasn’t so sure after all. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair and clearing his throat said “Well, you know, you always write about broken heart. And ahem, we both know, how that happened. So.. you know, I thought that it’s written around our relationship.”


“Hmm” she said, straightening and sipping her bourbon. 


“But now looks like I was a fool to think that?” Now it was his turn to shot that questioning glance.


“You were always a fool. You know that right. But anyway you were my fool!” She smiled.


“I like the sound of ‘my’ there. But I am getting a feeling there’s no place for it anymore?” he asked with slight nervousness.


“Tell me Erhan, why are you really here? I have my assumptions but I want to hear it from you. Tell me.” She leaned forward, throwing her full weight on the table and her full attention on him.


That was enough to throw him off balance. He tried to smile and could feel his facial muscles doing awkward dances; so he just closed his eyes and let out a deep sigh.


He wasn’t one to be nervous around people. He wasn’t one to fall short of words. He could speak in front of hundred people without tensing a single muscle in his body. But this girl, this thin simple figure in front of him, she is the only one who can make him feel like this. Even after years, she can make him choke on his words and make him feel like a fool. 


She was right, I was always a fool around her. He thought.


What was it he wanted to say to her? After all these years? What was he hoping for? After having screwed-up real bad, he had thought she would not even pick his call, but she did, and here they were in a pub, grabbing a drink and a casual lunch. But why was he here?


“Jaan, you know that the scotch won’t talk by itself, unfortunately they haven’t yet learnt that skill. So staring at it won’t help move this conversation ahead. You will still have to drink it, so it can plough those words out of your heart. Drinks here still work the old way.” She smiled amusing herself, taking another sip of her bourbon.


He lifted his eyes off the glass he was holding, smiled sheepishly and took a huge gulp in. He fidgeted his fingers while his mind was finding it absolutely hard to concentrate. He gathered all his strength and looked at her.


“I. Uh. I was wondering. Uh..”


“Oh for heavens sake Erhan, why are you so nervous? We have already broken up, and it’s been years. There’s nothing that can go wrong here, there’s hardly any expectations. Just say whatever it is.” She said spreading her arms in front of her, palms facing up.


“I wanted to ask if there’s any scope of a second chance for us.” He sighed finally blurting out a whole sentence in a single breath.


She dint say anything and just looked at him, intently. The silence hung over them, weighing him down by every passing second. He dint know why he said it but he remember telling himself she will say no, but at least you will know for sure instead of second guessing.


He closed his eyes, rubbing his temples he said “I am sorry Ayla. I shouldn’t have reopened old wounds. I totally understand if you say, no. I don’t know what I was thinking to be honest. I just, I don’t know, it’s all so exhausting.“ he exhaled tiredly.


She was quiet, sipping her bourbon, and never taking her eyes off of him. 


“Say something Ayla. Please. Anything. This silence, it’s just torturous.” He looked at her pleadingly.


She drew a deep breath in, and he felt like she had sucked all the air in the room.


“Why do you think I might even consider you in my life Erhan?” She asked, in a cool composed and matter-of-factly tone.


Who was this woman in front of him? He blinked twice before speaking again.


“I see that now. For some reason I thought, reading your columns, that you were looking for love. I thought you were missing all the good times we had. I thought,..” he shook his head and said “I don’t know what I thought. I was just reading too much into it I guess. All this is a big mistake obviously. Am just a mess.” 


She stretched her hands and held both his hands, firmly but with tenderness. “It’s okay. You at least faced yourself. It’s okay, relax.”


“Listen Erhan. I loved you, I truly did. And a part of me still loves all those wonderful times we had together. But we both have missed our chance on second chance. I am not missing anyone in my life Erhan. And what I write, is not at all related to how I feel today. I have had so many lives after we broke up, and I have lived through stories of so many heartbreaks of friends, I have become good at putting those emotions into words, that’s all. I am not yearning for anyone, and am definitely not pining for you.” He winced at that, at her simple direct words. When did she become this lady? This daring open person from the timid girl he once knew? 


“No disrespect to you Erhan, but the Ayla who is sitting in front of you is not the same Ayla who was madly in love with you 7 years ago.” She said as if reading his thoughts. “But I thank you for meeting me today. Even if my heart had any remote suspicions about our relationship, today’s meeting might have put it to rest. In this last hour we have spent together, I did not feel like grabbing you with both my hands and kissing you passionately, I did not feel like hugging you so tight so as to never let you go. I wasn’t half as nervous as you, and did not once think what if you said no to me. Your words did not stir any wild emotions in me. If we hadn’t met today, I would have never known for sure that, you and I, we don’t have any future as partners.” 


He marvelled at her. She wasn’t ruthless, no. She was just direct. She said all this, as if it was just another simple conversation. She had a good handle on all her senses. She did not falter, not once did she fumble. She wasn’t humiliating him, but he still felt a slight pinch in his guts. 


How can someone transform so much? She definitely has seen a lot, more than she has let on. He knew he dint stand a chance when they met an hour ago, something in the way she had carried herself. Her gait was different, body straight, shoulders squared, chin up, a radiant smile that brought glint in her eyes, like she was sure of herself and her surroundings. He knew she was a different person, but his heart had still held a small hope, which was now clearly snuffed out.


“So, are you dating anyone then?”


She laughed, a real hearty laugh. “Oh Erhan, you won’t change. No jaan, I am not dating anyone, and don’t intend to in atleast near future. Far as what life holds for me, I will let it unfold and deal with it as it comes.”


“But Ayla, what happened to you? I like the new you, don’t get me wrong, but looks like you have seen a lot in the past few years.” He asked waving at the waitress for a refill. He was glad for having cleared the air, he was now at ease, more of himself. 


“Hahaha. Well, you can say I have seen my fair share of life experiences. No complaints there.” She said finishing her bourbon.


“But you are happy.” He said smiling at her. 


“Yes, I am.” She grinned with that same sparkle in her eyes.


“Hmm. I trust you. You look happy when you say that. Stay happy. You deserve it Ayla.” Erhan said earnestly.


“And you do too. It’s time you found your happiness Erhan.” Ayla smiled back.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Compliment Someone, Because, Why Not?

Last week a customer service lady at self-checkout area of Loblaws walked up to me and asked if I was at the store the previous day. I indeed was.  I was surprised she remembered me, and was also confused as to why would it matter if I showed up on consecutive days. You know how at times your brain goes a million miles per sec and causes you to question all your life choices? I was running all the reasons in my head as to why someone would care about my grocery schedule. So, it was in that slightly confused state I replied, albeit politely “ Yes, I was here yesterday. The huge watermelon I bought did not allow me to complete my entire grocery checklist as I had reached my single trip haul limit, so I am here again to buy rest of my items ”. Meanwhile, my inner voice was shouting “ Why are you justifying your grocery trip to this random lady? Like who cares? ” Me being me, where my face clear as water always shows what I feel inside; she must have seen that confusion clearly danci...

Radha-Krishan jaisi jodi hai!! But Why?

I was with couple of my friends on a trip earlier this month, when we landed on the topic of Radha while listening to the song “ Radha on the dance floor, Radha wants to party …” from the movie Student of the Year . My friend suddenly told “ Isn’t our culture a little strange? Although Radha and Krishna were never married, every time people see a good couple they say “ RadhaKrishan jaisi Jodi hai! ”(ie. Couple like Radha-Krishna). ” For those who aren’t familiar with Hindu mythology; Radha & Krishna appear in the Dvapara Yuga which is the 3 rd out of four yugas (4 th one being Kali Yuga, the current one that we all are part of). Radha is considered an incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi and Krishna is the Eighth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Radha and Krishna are most popularly known and worshipped as RadhaKrishna – in one form. Radha is Krishna’s supreme beloved and his childhood friend. Acrylic Painting of Krishna with his Flute - By Me. The Lord and His consort are refe...