Skip to main content

That night and This morning.

He woke up to the constant buzzing of his doorbell. A sound that’s almost disgusting for a saturday morning. 

He knew it wasn’t any of his usual suspects; the maid, the cook, the delivery boy or his crazy friends. His saturday morning was going to be uneventful. Precisely why he was up until 3 AM previous night, binge watching a Netflix series that was long due. 


And when he had finally gone to bed, after cleaning a bowl of instant noodles and beer, he had no intentions of moving any part of his body till late that afternoon. So this constant buzzing was not just a mild discomfort but a breach of code, an unforgivable act of crime.


He thought to himself...


The person was either foolish or sadistic. No one in their right mind would think of waking up an office going guy on a saturday early morning 8 AM without prior notice. As though the damn corporate finance job was not enough to squeeze the life out of my soul, here comes Lucifer, the devil himself to wreck my weekend as well.


Such a sinister, he will go to hell. No, not hell . He will end up in purgatory, trying to ring the doorbell of hell, god damn idiot.


He pulled the pillow over his head, thinking the intruder will eventually leave him alone.


When the doorbell did not cease ringing, despite of him ignoring it for way over 5 minutes, he propped himself up on his pillows and rubbed his eyes, grunting and moaning and continuing all the curses he had learnt in his lifetime, he got up.


He was usually upbeat and easy going. But this week had been a roller coaster ride, and he was way too irritated, exhausted, annoyed; basically he was a cocktail of all the nasty feelings. He just wanted to rewind and relax this weekend and get back to his normal self. 


But the doorbell and the culprit at the door were not helping. And it seemed like that person was going to bear the full burnt of his entire week’s displeasure. 


He dragged himself out of his bed, in his crumpled black t-shirt and boxer shorts


Fuck it, I am going to kill you if you don’t give me a good enough reason to be here today. He murmured to himself.


He opened the door, with his left palm still rubbing away the sleep from his eyes, he mouthed the word “What??” looking up at the intruder, and froze.


He could feel his right hand still wrapped on the door knob, the left hand slowly pulling off from his face, mouth half parted and the disheveled hair dancing with the cool breeze that was gushing in.


He stood like that for what seemed like eternity, until he heard his name being called out from some far away place “Demir?”


His head was now heavy and buzzing and her voice echoed like that was the only sound around him. That and his heartbeat.


He stood there trying to make sense of the moment. ‘It’s a fucking dream’ he told himself while blinking hard more than once, closing his eyes for a little longer than few seconds and opening it slowly, just to find her still standing.


“I…” “Uh.. You…” “Uh..”


He could not bring himself to say anything, a lump had lodged itself in his throat, that was choking not only words but also the air out of his lungs. 


She just stood there patiently smiling at him. Waiting for him. ‘But waiting for what?’ He thought. ‘Is she real? But what is she doing here? At my doorstep?’ 


It took him a good 2-3 minutes, to gather his senses, to realize that she is still standing at his doorstep, and that he has installed himself like a statue at the entrance in his shabby messed up appearance, and an equally confused look on his face. 


“Fuck” and this word apparently his human body was able to spit out without any problem. ‘Great’ he thought.


Clearing his throat he said, “Hey, Hi, Uh come in, come on in. Sorry I wasn’t expecting anyone today so, Uh, come in.” He stepped aside waving his hand towards the hall, trying to give her a smile and failing at it exceptionally. 


She leaned in to hug him which turned into a most awkward hug in the history, with him still not able to grasp the full meaning of everything that was happening. When she glided past him into the hall, he let out a deep breath, and finally realized the state he was in. 


He quickly rushed to his room while calling out to her - “Please feel at home, give me just 2 minutes to freshen up and put some pants on”. 


‘wow and that was not creepy at all’ he grunted.


He saw himself in the bathroom mirror and balked at his appearance. “Wow. For all those dreamy nights when you played in your mind different ways you would meet her, this was never an option. What an impression you might have made on her! You might as well jump out of this window and run away; instead of getting further humiliated by facing her. Fuck.” He continued his murmurs.


Of course, no time to shave or shower. He quickly rinsed his mouth with the stinging minty mouthwash; splashed water on his face, set his hair into some understandable style and kept the same t-shirt, just pulled on a jeans, smiled at his reflection and instantly rolled his eyes on it. “Whatever! Just be yourself. It’s not like she doesn’t know you! Or does she really?”


If you want to hold all your conversation in a restroom then you might as well invite her here, called out his inner voice. He shook his head, flushed the toilet, wringing his hands in warm running water he cooled his anxious nerves to normalcy.


Then taking a deep breath, he walked out to the hall. Her tall wavy figure moving casually in the hall, reviewing his works on his wall of fame (that’s what he called it, the section of wall where he had hung his comic strips that he doodled as a hobby).


“Uh, will you take coffee?” His heart just couldn’t follow any rhythm when he was around her, it was beating chaotically. This was just their second meeting, and in a completely different world than their first one.


“I can make use of one. No new comic strips?” She asked, with a smile that displayed no hint of any anxiousness, which made him even more conscious.


“Aah No, busy with work for past couple of months. I do some random sketches, but that’s about it.” He was slowly able to reign in all his senses, his brain and his heart into some decent order, so that he did not look like a child lost in a train station. 


Aria! Aaariiiaaa! He formed that word slowly in his mind, while preparing the coffee. He couldn’t believe that Aria was here, in his home, in his hall, in his kitchen! 


They had first met in his friend’s bachelors party, his mind went back to that night.


When he was sitting in a silent corner of the club, trying to stay away from all the craziness boys were up to. He was all for partying, but he didn’t know a lot of folks there, and for some reason wasn’t in a mood to get drunk either. So he had held to his half empty second glass of scotch, as a weapon to ward off anyone trying to offer him more drinks. He had eventually found a quiet corner in the bar and had started sketching on a napkin, when he heard a gentle voice say “Now that’s a first. Never have I ever - seen anyone sketch in a bachelors party.” 


He looked up with a startled expression to find a lady in a sleek black crop top and shorts, behind the counter, bearing a curious smile, her hair tied in a high pony. She wasn’t the most beautiful person he had met in terms of looks, but those eyes, he was captivated by those gorgeous deep grey eyes. 


“Uh, just not in the mood for a party. But have to stick around for at least an hour before I sneak out. So..” he said waving his pencil in the air and pointed at his sketch. 


“And what about you? Part time bartender? Or party organizer? What reasons do you have to tolerate this torture?” He asked pointing at the crowd on other side of the club. 


And that’s how their conversation had begun, which went on till 4 in the morning. They had talked about their work, hobbies, dreams, fears, life in general and just anything and everything. He had never felt so comfortable with any woman before. And when it was time to leave, she had leaned and asked “can I kiss you?” And they had kissed a long poetic kiss, the tingling sensation of which he could still feel on his lips today. And that was it. 


She had to leave, and in a rush, instead of writing his number, he had written down his home address on the back of the napkin he was holding, and had thrusted it into her hands saying “I want to meet you again. I want us to continue our conversation. Please call me.” It wasn’t until a week later, when he had scratched his brains as to why she hadn’t called him yet, was that he had realized his blunder. And yet, he had silently hoped that he would find a letter or postcard lying in his mailbox, which after 3 months seemed more unlikely to ever occur. And now, she was at his doorstep.


“Demir! Demir!” same distant voice brought him back to reality. 


“Hey, Uh, sorry was lost in thoughts”. He blurted, grabbing the coffee mugs from the cabinet.


“I saw that, and from the looks of it, you were back in the bar.” She teased him standing by the kitchen entrance.


“Aria, You must know you have shocked me right?” He said looking at her slightly irritated, slightly confused. He still wasn’t sure what to make of her sudden presence in his house.


“Not like you had given me any other choice mister. You must be the first guy in the world who had handed a girl his home address after a first casual “date”.” She said air quoting, and then waving that napkin in front of his face. “That too if I am bold enough to call it a date. And a home in the opposite end of the country! You had me wonder for few days, if you were creepy or if it was your way of saying you weren't interested or if you were just drunk. And then I made up my mind to take you up on the offer you had made anyway. If it's any consolation, I was nervous too till I saw your face at the doorway few minutes back.” She said in the same relaxed tone, continuing to tease him.


At this he blushed and said “You have no idea how much I cursed myself for that blunder, Aria. I dint even realize it till almost a week later of waiting for your call. And do you know how many Arias are in this country? I couldn’t find you on social media either. But couldn’t you have written to me at least, before showing up like this? I still can’t believe you are here.”


“Now, where’s the fun in that? And besides, I wouldn’t have seen this cute-lost-shocked-puppy-faced Demir, would I?” She said walking up to him and kissing on his cheeks. 


This time he pulled her into a warm tight hug, and they both knew they had each other for life.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Celebrating the Bridge for Friends!

Just like any other bridge, this one plays a role of connecting you and me. Some are brand new, very inviting, clean and pure, presenting to be strong, yet to get exposed to the harsh reality of life. Some have weathered in many seasons, with few bars of railings missing, few broken planks, yet they stand strong, like huge metal bridges.  Some are reinforced with fresh materials every few years, so we stay connected strong and safe for entire lifetime.  Some are beyond repair, standing there rusty and broken. Not because it's impossible to fix the gap, but just waiting for equal support from the other side to mend it. Some were meant to serve one another just once. The need to cross that bridge never arose again, doesn't mean we don't remember how important that bridge was in our journey. To new and old, deep and shallow, strong and weak, connected and broken friendships, I am grateful to have known you one way or another.  Happy Friendships Day! 🍻

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

Reading between the lines

“ What makes you think it’s you? ” She asked cocking her head to her right giving him a studying glance. He thought he was sure, but now looking at her piercing eyes, he wasn’t so sure after all. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair and clearing his throat said “ Well, you know, you always write about broken heart. And ahem, we both know, how that happened. So.. you know, I thought that it’s written around our relationship .” “ Hmm ” she said, straightening and sipping her bourbon.  “ But now looks like I was a fool to think that? ” Now it was his turn to shot that questioning glance. “ You were always a fool. You know that right. But anyway you were my fool! ” She smiled. “ I like the sound of ‘my’ there. But I am getting a feeling there’s no place for it anymore? ” he asked with slight nervousness. “ Tell me Erhan, why are you really here? I have my assumptions but I want to hear it from you. Tell me. ” She leaned forward, throwing her full weight on the table and her full atten...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

SriLanka Backpacking Itinerary - 14 days - One Country - Many Experiences

Finally, I tried to put together the itinerary of the 14 days backpacking trip in SriLanka I did with a friend in December 2019.  Some general notes -  For accommodation, we used Hostelworld.com  ; Booking.com ; Airbnb.ca On an average $7 - $15 USD we get good accommodation in hostel/airbnb. Coconut water - 80 LKR (because I drank a lot of it :)) TukTuk - always suggest you check with locals on what's the average price, so you can negotiate with the drivers better. Bus & train - most preferred mode of transportation, cheap, depending on the time of the day there are chance of it being crowded, but hey - if you want to get the sense of the place and people, go for it. In the expenses I have not included accommodation or food or rides within city.  Used Splitwise app to track my daily expenses. Carry USD in cash. local banks do give good exchange rate if you don't convert everything in Colombo airport. People bank of China did not charge ...

Life a Wonderful Twister

(In response to my Friend Chiru's Blog - Life is a Wonderful Twister. Dated 10/26/2010) Life  ... This 4 lettered word has the entire world woven around it. I always felt if there is anything at all as powerful as this word -  LIFE .  Every word you speak is related to this word directly or indirectly. Everything you see, feel, sense has the essence of  LIFE . Every minute we spend adds memories to the heart, experience to your mind,  people to your world, happiness/sadness/anger/ ecstasy/many more such feelings to your emotions.  We begin our  LIFE  with only 1 person in our world - Amma (Mother). We are born and we have 2 people in our world - Mom and Dad. Then we add Sisters, Brothers, Uncles, Aunts, Grandpas, Grandmas, teachers, friends, colleagues, girl friends, boy friends, husband, wife(husbands/wives in some cases), in laws, children, grandchildren and so on. Our world grows as we grow.  It's amazing the way  li...