Skip to main content

That One Moment

I can see him walking through the gate, carrying a smile like he cares for nothing in this world. Those brown eyes that can see through anyone’s soul. The light breeze playing with his silky hair leaving a few strands hanging on his forehead. His tall structure gliding flawlessly towards me. The evening is perfect, with right amount of golden rays brightening his face. The scarlet sky giving perfect backdrop.

Everything seemed right, just right for the first time in my life. I can hear everything around me go silent while only my heart beats echoed in my ears. 

When they talk about racing heart, they are not making it up. I could feel the lightness in me, like I was floating with butterflies in my stomach. All these fancy stuffs people talk about in novels and movies, they all seemed real. 

That time of uncertainty where only you know you are in love and can feel or hope that the other person is also in love with you; but neither of you have confessed your feelings to one another - that feeling of gauging the depth of probability - of a yes and a no. That is a weird yet amazing feeling, which you are truly lucky, if you have experienced even once in your lifetime. 

Yes, heart breaks suck. But if we get to experience this moment, this exact moment, then all such pain feels worth it.  For this one moment in life, where you drown in this cocktail of emotions, you cannot trade it for anything. 

The moment when you fall in love with someone, that’s a different feeling. For some it’s love at first sight, for some it’s friendship turning to love; but as long as it’s one sided like it always is in the beginning, it’s kind of protected, it’s all you, so there’s no fear really. You fall in love and you enjoy that feeling. 

But when it comes to putting that feeling to words and expressing it to the person you love; now you are bringing in a variable to the equation. And you have no idea about what that variable is thinking; you hope for a yes, you fear the no, that battle of uncertainty- for a bystander it makes no sense, it would feel stupid. But for someone who has loved, they can understand. Even if you are absolutely sure that the other person loves you, when it comes to committing to it, you will be nervous. If you are not, then you are not in love. Maybe you were just too practical, which is alright. Most people never gather that courage to confess their love, it remains in a corner of their heart for years to come, they learn to live with that. 

I pressed the pleats of my dress with both my hands nervously and sat straight on the bench. With the background of continuous rhythm of my heart beats that seemed to be increasing their volume with every step he was taking towards me., I was thinking of all the different ways this would play out. 

If he proposed, if he said he loved me, would I say I love you too? Or should I say, I need to think about this? Or maybe something practical like how will this workout with we being in different cities? Or have you thought about the future, about our families? Most importantly, will we kiss?

And if he said nothing of that sort, if he did not propose at all, if he was just stopping by for a send-off hug, friends forever kind, then? What will I say? Smile and hug back? Will I be fine knowing that he doesn’t feel for me as I do for him? Or should I seek him out, ask 'is that it? You don’t have anything else to say? Don’t you have feelings for me? Do you love me?' 

Will I look desperate if I proposed? Will I lose his friendship? What use is his friendship if I cannot have him the way I want him?

Oh, it's like hurricane inside my head.

It’s strange, I had always dreamt of this moment, but now that it looks like it will be coming true, all my dialogues, thoughts, acts that I had prepared seemed to have wiped out of my memory. I felt like I am having a brain freeze.

Have you heard of people say when their entire life comes down to that one moment? When nothing else matters? Not the past, not the future, not the problems, nothing. All that matters is the moment that is in front of you right then and there.

I wanted to get up and run, run back to my house. I did not want him to know that I loved him so passionately. I did not want him to say anything at all. I will have him as my secret love. It will stay with me till I die. No one needs to know. They can speculate and gossip about us. Our friends can continue to pull our legs and I can continue to laugh it off. They will never know the truth and that seems like a better option. It’s better than getting this dream broken. It’s better to believe that he loves me secretly too, rather than realize that he doesn’t care for me that way. Yes, that’s a better option. I will be fine if he doesn’t love me back as long as he doesn’t break my illusion of his love for me. I could feel my heart racing out of my control, I could feel my hands and feet go cold. 

I thought to myself “No, I cannot faint now. That’s so embarrassing, of all the days, today? No, no, no, no.. stay alert, get you shit together. It won’t be that bad. Maybe he just wanted to see you before you left. Yes, that’s what this is about, just a normal chit chat. Cool down”. 

He reached the bench, standing in front of me gave an awkward smile and said “Hello ….”

Years later, I still live this moment with the same cocktail of emotions. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Solving Life like a Rubik's cube!

I had bought Rubik's cube around 4 years back I think, and I would just keep turning it's faces around without any logic to see if color's aligned. I knew there was some trick and logic to solve it; but I never had a deep interest in learning it. So it used to lie around in my house with not much success. Last month, I got an urge to check this off my list. So, I sat watching Youtube videos and reading numerous webpages, learning about various tricks/moves to solve the Rubik's cube. I solved it.  Then I scrambled it, to start all over again. I solved it again. I scrambled it again, and redid the process till I memorized it's move so I could solve it without any guidance. During, this process, I learnt something. There were times when I was close to last few steps in solving the cube, then I would make a bad move and cube would get messed up. I would scramble it again, and start over. There was this weird feeling of losing what I have accompli...

Compliment Someone, Because, Why Not?

Last week a customer service lady at self-checkout area of Loblaws walked up to me and asked if I was at the store the previous day. I indeed was.  I was surprised she remembered me, and was also confused as to why would it matter if I showed up on consecutive days. You know how at times your brain goes a million miles per sec and causes you to question all your life choices? I was running all the reasons in my head as to why someone would care about my grocery schedule. So, it was in that slightly confused state I replied, albeit politely “ Yes, I was here yesterday. The huge watermelon I bought did not allow me to complete my entire grocery checklist as I had reached my single trip haul limit, so I am here again to buy rest of my items ”. Meanwhile, my inner voice was shouting “ Why are you justifying your grocery trip to this random lady? Like who cares? ” Me being me, where my face clear as water always shows what I feel inside; she must have seen that confusion clearly danci...