Skip to main content

Price Tag

“Was it worth it?” she asked taking her headphones off, as she saw him flip the newspaper page. 

“Hmm. Depends on what price tag you put on it.” he said straightening his reading glasses without looking up.

"Well, you know what I mean." she said slightly irritated.

"It's all perspective pumpkin, it's all perspective.” He said continuing to read the economics section of the paper.

“Meaning?” she asked still keeping her gaze fixed at him.

He took a deep breath looking at her and said "Never look at these things in pieces sweetheart. Take ten steps back and look at the broader picture - a little bit of past, the whole of present and a lot of future. Then you will truly be able to say if you paid for something or if you invested in something." winking at her he continued in a taunting tone "You know what I mean"

"Hmm. You won't give away that easily right." She said shaking her head and said "Anyway, How do you feel now that it's over?"

"Over? Why do you think it's an end? I feel this is just the beginning." he said turning the page.

"Pop-Pop, enough of this theatrical replies. I have always stood by you no matter what. But, what you are doing here is not right pop-pop" she said with frustration, keeping her headphones aside, and straightening herself on the sofa.

"But why are you overthinking this? What are you so worried about?" He asked looking at her inquisitively.

"It's just... things are unraveling so fast. And I am not liking the direction in which it's going" she said looking slightly uncomfortable.

"Alright. Come here. Tell me what's this really about." He asked folding his paper, placing it over the coffee table and leaning forward on his rocking chair. 

His silver white hair neatly partitioned on one side. Every wrinkle on his face had some story, some experience to share. He was in his late sixties, but he looked no older than early fifties. His serene and calm face with that soothing smile had a huge contribution in him looking younger than his age. Having served in military in his early twenties, and having seen things one probably shouldn’t at that age, he had learnt soon enough how precious life was. 

Harper was just 15 years old, and growing up she spent a lot of her time with her grandpa, whom she lovingly called pop-pop. She learnt a great deal from him. Her pop-pop was her role model, she adored him more than her parents. At times that worried him, but he was glad that he was able to spend time with her while he could, the time he couldn’t spend with his daughter while she was Harper's age.  Harper was his way of reliving himself as both a father and grandfather.

"I don't know pop-pop. I feel you should not be giving up on her. Not on our account." She said with a sulking face.

"Oh... Why do you think I am giving up? And what's all this about “our account” thing?" He said air quoting with a soft affectionate look on his face.

"You know what I mean Pop-Pop. You should be with her." Harper said lifting her eyes slowly and looking at him reluctantly.

He smiled. And she felt at ease immediately. His smile had that power on her. No matter how disturbed she would be, when she saw him smile, all her worries would melt away. 

“Listen sweetheart.” He said “With love, no matter at what age it happens, whether it's the first or the tenth, it can never be forced. And it can never be thrown away for wrong reasons. It might seem too soon for you to truly understand but with time you will realize it."

"So you won't miss her?" She asked with a confused look.

"It's not like we broke up. She needs time, to take care of this with her family. And I need to give time to your mom, to be fine with our relationship. And I know, that time is one thing I don't have much left with me, but that doesn’t mean we rush into things and add more to the list of regrets. Regrets..” 

He sighed, leaned back on his chair and slightly rocking continued “Regrets - something you will understand more as you grow older, just like love, the true meaning of which we understand only with experience, experience that comes from all those choices we made along the way.” 

Then returning his attention to his sweet pumpkin he said “So to answer your question, no I won't miss her, because she will still be around, like before. Nothing’s changing between us.”

"And it's okay if you don't get to marry her this winter like you wished?” She walked over to him and sat on the wooden floor at his foot looking up at him. 

"Hahaha,” he burst out into his signature laughter, that usually had a tendency to light up any gathering he would be in.  “With time honey, you will understand more about marriage too. But for now, just know, that it's okay, not to have a name for a relationship, and still be loved the same. Sometimes there are emotions that don’t want to be bound in any relation. That don’t make them any less important or pure.” He said brushing her hair off her forehead.

He looked at her and continued, “I am not talking you out of any commitments dear. All I am saying is do things, because you want to, not because you have to. I don’t HAVE TO marry Elle. We both had decided, that we will give our families time to accept us, and then if we feel like it, we will marry, if not, we will continue living as we do today and maybe just go on that backpacking world trip we've been raving about.”

They both laughed. She placed her head on his lap and said “I like her Pop-pop. She is fun. And most importantly, she keeps you happy.”

“That she does” he said in a low voice stroking her head. 

"I wasn't around much when your mom was growing up, so there are a lot of things I could not tell your mom. And well, I wasn’t quite wise back then to give her any advice anyway.” He said waving his hand in the air.  

“But now that I have more time to spend with you, my angel, let me tell you something. Make your own mistakes sweetheart. Don't be scared to explore. Above all, love like there's no tomorrow. Don't make it too complicated. With time you will learn from your own experiences, what’s best for you. But one thing you must never forget, is to dream. There's always a better tomorrow if you dare to dream it. Never stop dreaming. Never stop questioning. And never ever stop falling in love, no matter how many times you get your heart broken.”

He bent and kissed her head. And both of them captured this exact moment in their head, for they both knew that with passing time, these moments were going to be more rare than before, and they wanted to grab any such precious moments while it lasted.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Compliment Someone, Because, Why Not?

Last week a customer service lady at self-checkout area of Loblaws walked up to me and asked if I was at the store the previous day. I indeed was.  I was surprised she remembered me, and was also confused as to why would it matter if I showed up on consecutive days. You know how at times your brain goes a million miles per sec and causes you to question all your life choices? I was running all the reasons in my head as to why someone would care about my grocery schedule. So, it was in that slightly confused state I replied, albeit politely “ Yes, I was here yesterday. The huge watermelon I bought did not allow me to complete my entire grocery checklist as I had reached my single trip haul limit, so I am here again to buy rest of my items ”. Meanwhile, my inner voice was shouting “ Why are you justifying your grocery trip to this random lady? Like who cares? ” Me being me, where my face clear as water always shows what I feel inside; she must have seen that confusion clearly danci...

Radha-Krishan jaisi jodi hai!! But Why?

I was with couple of my friends on a trip earlier this month, when we landed on the topic of Radha while listening to the song “ Radha on the dance floor, Radha wants to party …” from the movie Student of the Year . My friend suddenly told “ Isn’t our culture a little strange? Although Radha and Krishna were never married, every time people see a good couple they say “ RadhaKrishan jaisi Jodi hai! ”(ie. Couple like Radha-Krishna). ” For those who aren’t familiar with Hindu mythology; Radha & Krishna appear in the Dvapara Yuga which is the 3 rd out of four yugas (4 th one being Kali Yuga, the current one that we all are part of). Radha is considered an incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi and Krishna is the Eighth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Radha and Krishna are most popularly known and worshipped as RadhaKrishna – in one form. Radha is Krishna’s supreme beloved and his childhood friend. Acrylic Painting of Krishna with his Flute - By Me. The Lord and His consort are refe...