Skip to main content

An Old Trunk

He sat there silently feeling the breeze.

He wasn't chatty anymore like before. "I definitely am getting old" he thought.

Life had stripped him bit by bit, but he never budged. He always found reasons to wake up to another day and continue.

It felt like just yesterday, when he was this delicate little thing, protected under the shadows of his elders.

He has seen so many seasons now that he had stopped keeping count of them long ago. The rings in his trunk no longer accounted for his true age.

He still remembers the first thunderstorm he was in, how he had tried to hold on to his precious 6 leaves. And how he was devastated to see 2 of his leaves left battered at the end of it. He was overcome with so much grief that he had spent the whole day with slouching shoulders, his back bent till his head touched the earth.

But then, with the ray of next sunlight, he had slowly revived. Now he thinks of that day and smiles at his ignorance and innocence. That was the way of life, he just dint know it then.

As seasons passed, he grew older and taller and stronger. He was so full of life, that every autumn he would dance waving his branches gaily showering a few yellow leaves every now and then. Falling of leaves felt natural to him now, it did not hurt him anymore.

He was happy to be around his own kinds, quite a few he had grown old with -  other trees, plants, insects, birds, wind, rain, sunlight, night, stars, sky etc.. etc.

But then he started seeing men. More and more of them. He was fine when they started chopping old branches; he had thought, if it's useful for them then why not. Nature had broken so many of his branches in the past. Isn't man a creation of nature too? So maybe they know what they are doing, maybe there's a reason they are cutting down his branches.

Then he saw a few of his elders being cut down. There was a lot of whirring and chipping and weird sounds that did not seem nature like. But what did he know anyways. So, he simply watched.

He slowly saw his neighborhood thinning. In a matter of few seasons, his very chatty friends and families seem to have fallen silent, one by one. He remembers panicking and not sleeping for many nights one season.

He was cut down too that season. 




He feels the brutal pain that was inflicted on him till he had fainted, no longer feeling anything. But he was always a survivor, his roots had continued to keep him alive.

He had spent a lot of nights feeling desolate and bereft. Occasionally, a bird would perch on him, trying to cheer him up, but nothing had seemed to help.

Then something changed end of that season. He saw a lot of young plants moving in to the neighborhood. These men were bringing back his kinds and planting them in place of his dead friends. He did not understand what was going on, "..but when did I ever understand the way of life." He had thought and sighed. So he just watched.

And the following season, more plants moved in, and his neighborhood seemed to be getting back to it's older self.

Now here he was 6 seasons later, his roots had given birth to a few younger plants that were huddling around his feet. And the younger trees were now showering yellow fall leaves on him, their branches flirting with the wind.

He was back with his community.

He felt a slight stab of guilt for thinking that man was a monster back then. Maybe, men had a plan all along, and he was just naive not to understand their good intentions. Maybe it was nature's way after all.

Whatever was the reason, he was glad to have his dense forest back. And he no longer cringed at the sight of men. He was happy to see their smiling faces pass by once in a while. In fact, he had seen a few of them perch on him like the birds, and he would giggle at their excitement.

And before he knew, he was listening to all his chatty friends around. 

"Nothing had really changed. It was just another storm that has now passed." He thought to himself with a smile. We are all children of nature, aren't we?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Solving Life like a Rubik's cube!

I had bought Rubik's cube around 4 years back I think, and I would just keep turning it's faces around without any logic to see if color's aligned. I knew there was some trick and logic to solve it; but I never had a deep interest in learning it. So it used to lie around in my house with not much success. Last month, I got an urge to check this off my list. So, I sat watching Youtube videos and reading numerous webpages, learning about various tricks/moves to solve the Rubik's cube. I solved it.  Then I scrambled it, to start all over again. I solved it again. I scrambled it again, and redid the process till I memorized it's move so I could solve it without any guidance. During, this process, I learnt something. There were times when I was close to last few steps in solving the cube, then I would make a bad move and cube would get messed up. I would scramble it again, and start over. There was this weird feeling of losing what I have accompli...

Compliment Someone, Because, Why Not?

Last week a customer service lady at self-checkout area of Loblaws walked up to me and asked if I was at the store the previous day. I indeed was.  I was surprised she remembered me, and was also confused as to why would it matter if I showed up on consecutive days. You know how at times your brain goes a million miles per sec and causes you to question all your life choices? I was running all the reasons in my head as to why someone would care about my grocery schedule. So, it was in that slightly confused state I replied, albeit politely “ Yes, I was here yesterday. The huge watermelon I bought did not allow me to complete my entire grocery checklist as I had reached my single trip haul limit, so I am here again to buy rest of my items ”. Meanwhile, my inner voice was shouting “ Why are you justifying your grocery trip to this random lady? Like who cares? ” Me being me, where my face clear as water always shows what I feel inside; she must have seen that confusion clearly danci...