Skip to main content

Buddy, Beer and....

“Damn, heart break sucks!" Remy said handing over the cold beer to Zayn.


"That it does!" sighed Zayn.


They both were sitting on their camping chairs by the lake. They had thought of fishing that afternoon, but then decided to just sit back and relax.


"Hey, you think it will hurt less next time?" Remy asked opening his bottle.


"Oh, easy boy, there's already a next time!?" Zayn asked raising his eyebrows.


"You know what I mean." Remy nudged.


"Well, even if there's a next time, why are you already thinking of a heart break?" Zayn asked taking a sip.


"I mean, you have been through multiple relationships, what's it like? Does it get any easier?" Remy prodded further.


"Dude, I have had just 2 breakups. Am no relationship expert." Zayn scoffed.


"That's still one more than me." Remy laughed.


"Hmm. I won't say it gets easier, it's always painful. It's just that, the first one hurts the most." Zayn said looking past the horizon. 


"You never spoke of your first love. Is that why?"


"Hmm." Zayn hummed seemingly drifting into his old memories.


"I don't know man. Are they all so ruthless?" Remy said following his gaze to horizon as well.


"Well, it's not us v/s them you know. It's just bad timing, crazy situations. It's just the fucking universe!" Zayn said throwing his hands up in the air.


"Yeah right, tell me about it." Remy said mockingly rolling a smoke.


After couple of brief silent moments, Remy said "Hey, thanks for tagging along man. I just needed to get some fresh air." he continued focussing on his freshly rolled joint.


"Are we hugging into tears now? Just enjoy the god damn beer." Zayn said in a flat tone.


Wind was howling in the far east, it wasn't cold though. Although it was almost end of spring, past couple of days was sunny and at a high 28°C. Remy had called Zayn yesterday night, asking if they can drive up the mountains for the weekend. Zayn was always up for impromptu trips, so here they were, sharing a beer, watching the mountains by the lake, a spot they had inadvertently pulled over.


"The firsts always leave a deep chasm in your heart. It doesn't fill-in with time, it just keeps getting deeper and deeper. With time we just learn to live with that void." Zayn said still lost in a different world. 


He did not share much with people. Not that he wasn't talkative, but he thought some things were none of others business. Remy was the closest friend he had in town. They had been colleagues first, and had become good friends over last 2 years.


"You are as tough as they come. For you to still bleed, she should have been someone special." Remy said looking at Zayn with softened eyes.


"Aren't they all?" Zayn commented with a weary smile, taking another swig of his beer.


"I think it's more difficult for us guys. We can't weep or bitch about it or throw out our frustrations like they do. And I definitely cannot confide in anyone." Remy said searching for words.


Then taking in a long drag of his smoke and releasing it with a sigh, he looked at the sky.


"It's not easy to talk about this shit man. I just wish it was easy to ignore, but the damn thing just pinches right in here." he continued in a slightly choking voice, jabbing his index finger on his chest.


And then almost immediately as if coming back to reality, Remy shook his head and said "Gosh it seemed so gay. Sorry." he looked down, rubbing his brows and giving a fake chuckle.


"There's nothing gay or straight about it. It's all just hypocrisy. It hurts, and you are allowed to feel and show that pain. Fuck what world thinks." Zayn said looking straight into Remy's eyes, using his cold authoritative tone, one he uses when he wants to make a point with no drama. That's what Remy liked about Zayn, the one friend he could talk to, without being judged. 


"I will drink to that" Remy said his voice still shaking, raising his beer to Zayn in a virtual cheers, and finishing the rest of it in three huge gulps.


"Sometimes I wonder.." Remy started when Zayn cut him off.


"No no no no.. don't go down that rabbit hole of what ifs, there's no coming back from it. Stick to good times and find a way to get back to life. "Sometimes I wonder" is a very dangerous journey to go on, at this point in your life. You can do that years later, but not now." Zayn said with his signature tone of one who knows it all.


There were few more moments of silence, while Remy took couple more laborious drags from his roll-up, while Zayn picked up a fresh beer from the cooler. 


"I was a mess after my first break-up. But she and I, our love, it was worth all the pain I had to go through. It's not easy, but it wouldn't be love if it was easy, would it?" Zayn smiled looking at Remy.


"I miss her, man. I can't get her out of my head. I just.., I tried,.. we tried to make it work, it just kept falling apart. I don't know what else I could have done. But now that it's over, I just can't think of my days without her. It just seems too weird. I don't know how to come out of this in one-piece." Remy said tossing his smoke and burying his face into his hands.


Zayn reached out and gave a slight squeeze on Remy's arm, saying "We all are broken Remy." 


And then, he pulled another beer and handed it to Remy, who now was looking at Zayn with a new found respect. There was something in the way Zayn said those words, that had comforted Remy instantly.


Zayn took his beer and slightly tapping on Remy's, smiled and said "You will be fine my friend. You will be fine."


They both drank their beers in silence, watching the rest of the evening color the sky and the wind dancing on the lake; both of them lost in their world, picking the broken pieces from their memory.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Celebrating the Bridge for Friends!

Just like any other bridge, this one plays a role of connecting you and me. Some are brand new, very inviting, clean and pure, presenting to be strong, yet to get exposed to the harsh reality of life. Some have weathered in many seasons, with few bars of railings missing, few broken planks, yet they stand strong, like huge metal bridges.  Some are reinforced with fresh materials every few years, so we stay connected strong and safe for entire lifetime.  Some are beyond repair, standing there rusty and broken. Not because it's impossible to fix the gap, but just waiting for equal support from the other side to mend it. Some were meant to serve one another just once. The need to cross that bridge never arose again, doesn't mean we don't remember how important that bridge was in our journey. To new and old, deep and shallow, strong and weak, connected and broken friendships, I am grateful to have known you one way or another.  Happy Friendships Day! 🍻

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

Reading between the lines

“ What makes you think it’s you? ” She asked cocking her head to her right giving him a studying glance. He thought he was sure, but now looking at her piercing eyes, he wasn’t so sure after all. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair and clearing his throat said “ Well, you know, you always write about broken heart. And ahem, we both know, how that happened. So.. you know, I thought that it’s written around our relationship .” “ Hmm ” she said, straightening and sipping her bourbon.  “ But now looks like I was a fool to think that? ” Now it was his turn to shot that questioning glance. “ You were always a fool. You know that right. But anyway you were my fool! ” She smiled. “ I like the sound of ‘my’ there. But I am getting a feeling there’s no place for it anymore? ” he asked with slight nervousness. “ Tell me Erhan, why are you really here? I have my assumptions but I want to hear it from you. Tell me. ” She leaned forward, throwing her full weight on the table and her full atten...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

SriLanka Backpacking Itinerary - 14 days - One Country - Many Experiences

Finally, I tried to put together the itinerary of the 14 days backpacking trip in SriLanka I did with a friend in December 2019.  Some general notes -  For accommodation, we used Hostelworld.com  ; Booking.com ; Airbnb.ca On an average $7 - $15 USD we get good accommodation in hostel/airbnb. Coconut water - 80 LKR (because I drank a lot of it :)) TukTuk - always suggest you check with locals on what's the average price, so you can negotiate with the drivers better. Bus & train - most preferred mode of transportation, cheap, depending on the time of the day there are chance of it being crowded, but hey - if you want to get the sense of the place and people, go for it. In the expenses I have not included accommodation or food or rides within city.  Used Splitwise app to track my daily expenses. Carry USD in cash. local banks do give good exchange rate if you don't convert everything in Colombo airport. People bank of China did not charge ...

Life a Wonderful Twister

(In response to my Friend Chiru's Blog - Life is a Wonderful Twister. Dated 10/26/2010) Life  ... This 4 lettered word has the entire world woven around it. I always felt if there is anything at all as powerful as this word -  LIFE .  Every word you speak is related to this word directly or indirectly. Everything you see, feel, sense has the essence of  LIFE . Every minute we spend adds memories to the heart, experience to your mind,  people to your world, happiness/sadness/anger/ ecstasy/many more such feelings to your emotions.  We begin our  LIFE  with only 1 person in our world - Amma (Mother). We are born and we have 2 people in our world - Mom and Dad. Then we add Sisters, Brothers, Uncles, Aunts, Grandpas, Grandmas, teachers, friends, colleagues, girl friends, boy friends, husband, wife(husbands/wives in some cases), in laws, children, grandchildren and so on. Our world grows as we grow.  It's amazing the way  li...