Skip to main content

10 Things You do after You Lose Someone You Loved!

What happens when your loved ones leave this world and you are left behind to live rest of your life without them?

Like I mentioned in my earlier posts, I did not know how it would feel to not have my dad around for rest of my life. But here’s a list of things that I have experienced since I lost my dad to an accident.

1.   Your heart cringes when they are referred in Past Tense. 

We are so used to talking about them that we often realize at the end of the conversation that we are still using Present tense for them. I for some reason have not been still able to put myself into the habit of using past tense for my dad. But often during the conversation; I make the statements and then at the end of it correct it saying "he used to say that; but no longer does".

2.  Remembering them in every good and bad moment becomes a habit.

We obviously cannot forget them; after all they have been part of our lives. But I think a sort of guilt also creeps in when we start feeling happy about something. A guilt that says did you forget that you can no longer share this moment with someone you loved a lot. We keep fighting the famous saying - Out of Sight; Out of Mind. Something that I really don't want to happen is Papa being out of my mind.

3. Blocking your heart from making intense relations.

We consciously start making an effort to put our mind over heart. Having lost a loved one; we want to be realistic every time our heart starts getting closer to someone. We keep reminding ourselves; don't get too emotionally bound with this person; he/she might not be with you forever. It doesn't mean we start caring less. We will love and care; but at the same time keep doing a reality check in our heart that it’s not forever.

4. Start making conscious effort to end the conversation nicely.

I still remember the last time when I spoke to my Dad; I was in USA and my Dad was in Bangalore, India travelling back to our hometown. We made fun of my sister a bit; and then I just wished him Good Night and a safe journey. Told him will call him the next day once they reach home and settle down. That was the last chat I had with him. He met with the road accident that night; and I could never see or hear him again. 

We never know when we are talking to someone for the last time. I couldn't have imagined my plight if that night I would have spoken to him harshly or argued with him. I generally never argue with my dad; but just imagine if I did. And forever, the last words that I would have told him would be those bitter words; which I could never correct.

So, now whenever I end a conversation harshly with my dear ones; it takes me not more than 5 minutes to call them back; tell them to ignore what happened; that I was just in a bad mood; and end the conversation on a much lighter note. I am not saying I don't argue with them; but I just ensure that I am telling them a proper good bye.

5. Never miss a chance to let your loved ones know how much you appreciate them

One thing that we would repent would be if we never let the person know how we felt about them when they were around. This is something I am glad I didn’t do. I would always tell my Dad how grateful I was that I was his daughter; that he supported me in being whatever I am today. I would always let him know through cards, letters, calls etc… that he means a lot to me.

We take our loved ones for granted. We are too busy with our life to thank someone just for being part of our life; which is the biggest mistake we make. Of course, they know you love them; but to hear that from you; there’s no bigger happiness than that.

6. Continue to do what you did for them when they were around

I used to buy cards for my dad on Father’s day; his Birthday & Anniversary and would give it to him whenever we would meet. (For part 10 years I have been staying away from my home; visiting them as often as I can). I still continue doing it; only difference is I put them in a memory box. I don’t know for how long I would do it; but I have been doing it so far. Somehow, it pampers the feeling of having them around.

7. Record your loved ones memories in some form or other.

In today’s digital world capturing moments of life has been very easy; whether it be photos or videos or voice. And these become so invaluable in future; that one cannot measure it.

I am lucky to have lot of pics of me with my dad and videos too. But I could not record his voice. Especially the way he calls me “Beta” (Child). I miss that a lot. If there is one thing I would go back and change is to get his voice recorded so that I could listen to him whenever I thought of him.

8. Surprise your loved ones when they least expect it

Once again; when we are left behind; and we can no longer see or feel them physically; their memories are the only way to interact with them. And these memories; even very small things  that go unnoticed when they were around; become so invaluable that you wished you had spent more time with them to create more such memories.

9. Never try to avoid their topic in any conversation

I still wish my mom on her wedding anniversary. I know it is very painful for her to remember those days. We still talk about him and she shares her sadness. But at the same time she remembers those moments of happiness. One of my relative said we shouldn't be wishing her; imagine how much pain she incurs. And I feel that the worst pain for her would be if she gets a feeling that he is forgotten. I know everyone will have their lost ones in their hearts; but it is always good to be vocal once in a while. The pain of loss of our loved ones will never reduce; but by talking about them frequently will train our heart to remember them with a smile.

10. There is a void that no one can fill

Every person holds a special position in our heart. A void created by one can never be filled by others. Presence of others can divert our mind for a while from them; but cannot make us forget that pain; that void; that wish of “if only I could see him/her for one last time”.

No one can understand this pain until they have gone through it; so never make a statement that you understand what the person is feeling like. You can always be there for them, support them talking to them frequently, giving them courage to go through this pain.

Things are never the same. We just learn to live with this void.

-Sarita
Dated: 8th March 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamasmi Yodha - My First Tattoo

I finally did it. It isn’t a great achievement to show off, but for me it’s one more item on my bucket list getting fulfilled. So I am very happy about it. What did I do? Oh like I said nothing great – I just got my FIRST Tattoo  :) My first Tattoo Artist I had done a lot of research on it since last couple of months. I wanted to get it done on my birthday, but it somehow dint work out.  For all the first timers, I wanted to list out my personal experience, just in case it helps :) First of all, I felt it will be very helpful if you have some friends who would have got it done already. But I dint have that privilege. So I went through lot of blogs and articles in About.com, Wikihow, YahooAnswers etc… Well Google, the new lord of knowledge :) has all that you need to know. So, in summary, what I got from all these sites were First decide on what you want to get tattooed and where. Go over it again and again, since it is permanent, you will have to live ...

Life... A Blank Page!

Whenever I open a notebook and come across the set of blank pages; my mind goes blank. For some reason, it always reminds me of my life. It forces me to start thinking about my life; about the past and the future. Being part of the age of computers and belonging to the IT industry, I hardly get an opportunity to actually pick a pen and write in the notebook. I write lot of blogs, poems etc… but I write them on the webpage or in Microsoft word in my laptop.  Once in a while I like to go back to traditional form of writing; using the actual pen and paper. And in last few years; I noticed that every time I try doing that for some reason the blank paper gets me all philosophical.         Although I never have that thought while opening the book; but whenever I see those blank pages; I just go blank. I always feel that my life is staring back at me with all those unanswered silenced questions, doubts, thoughts…forcing me to think – What does my lif...

Zindagi Gulzar Hai - A feast to ones eyes!

Today I am here to make a much interesting comparison of our current Indian TV industry with our neighboring country’s television industry. Interesting because I never thought I would ever engage in watching any of the Pakistan TV series/movies or listening to their music. My disinterest in Pakistan entertainment was not because of the tensed relationship with the country. But I myself am not a big fan of TV serials. The kind of drama that is filled in Indian TV Channels today is just exhausting and tiring to watch. I hardly follow any Indian TV series. When I visit home on vacation, I join my family in watching the program they watch and that’s how I keep myself updated with what is trending in the TV industry. I love listening to music and I listen to all genres of music. I did start listening to Pakistani music since last few years and have admired their music. Strings, Fuzon,  Kaavish, Jal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali, Parveen Abida, Quratulain Baloch and many ...

Uncovered, Not Exposed

After ages of procrastination, I finally decided to try formal art classes. I had always feared that rules would take the fun out of my art. Art is where I go to unwind and let my mind wander, and the idea of placing boundaries in that safe space never sat well with me. But this year, I signed up for weekend spring classes; telling myself to keep an open mind and take in only what resonated. I was intimidated - I didn't know if this would draw me deeper into art or push me away. To my surprise, it was overwhelming, but in the best possible way.  The reason for this post is however not to cover my art journey ( I have just started so I will give it some time to settle in ); but instead to capture my thoughts upon observing a profession in real life that I have only watched on screen -  Live nude models. And the quiet power of their bare form.  I spent an entire day observing nude male and female body for figure drawing, and it blew my mind in ways I had not expected. ...

Solitude Meets Homesickness

I get asked a lot about my experience of staying alone. I stay alone, and hardly attend any social events apart from visiting couple of friends, once in 2-3 months. I reserve all my social energy for when am back home, where I throw myself into meeting all the loved ones I grew up with. And that happens once a year (due to Covid, it's over due by 2 years now). Anyway, my standard answer is although it comes naturally to me, to enjoy my solitude (the very definition is to be alone without feeling lonely) , I have learnt that it's not otherwise easy. And it isn't really something that everyone's personality blends into. My natural state of restlessness, forces me to indulge in numerous activities, keeping myself engaged, intrigued and entertained. And with time, it's become next to impossible to allow someone new to enter my personal space - whether as a roommate or a partner. That doesn't mean I am an introvert. If you meet me in a social gathering, you can easil...

Alone & Happy, not Lonely!

There's a difference between the two states of being; being alone & being lonely.  I am single and  have been  alone in new places all by myself; with little or no acquaintances; let alone friends. When you are single, it's a common norm for rest of the world to investigate about your companionship needs.  Single people are often surrounded with friends and family that give them company.   In my case, I have got used to staying alone as well. And trust me I do just fine. I do miss them but I don't get depressed or frustrated when I don't find the company of my friends or family. So I am single and alone and happy. That said, it's not that I don't have friends or I am not social. I am very social, enjoy parties, hangout with friends when I meet them; I am not an introvert, am more of a happy go lucky kinda person. When I say I am alone, I am in company of myself. And I have realized that I enjoy my company a lot, so I never feel lonely.  ...

You don’t know me

You don’t know me. And what you know of me is not even half of who I am.  It’s not that I am too private. I say what I feel, and although I am on open book, I am just not too easily readable. But tell me, why would you want to know me? Or rather know EVERYTHING about me? We as humans obsess about knowing everything about each other, especially about the ones we love. We want to believe that we KNOW what they think, what they like, who they are etc.. I think it comes to us naturally.  But, we don’t. No matter how close we are, there’s a part of us that’s always too private. That cannot be shared. Sometimes we ourselves don’t know who we are. I believe, you should just be happy with the part they share with you, and who they are when they are around you. And remember, who they are when they are with you depends on who you are around them. There’s always a disclaimer- they are a different person when they are with someone else. And they are a different person when t...

तेरा सफ़र , तेरी मंज़िल..

जिस राह पे तू चलता है राही, कभी उसकी मंज़िल को पेहचाना है तूने जहाँ तक तेरी नज़र जाती है, बस वहीँ तक का सफ़र नहीं है तेरा वो जो अनदेखा छिपा है उस मोड़ की आड़ में, उसकी भनक भी नहीं तुझे फिर कैसे तू केहता है " मैं जानता हूँ कहाँ मेरी मंज़िल है" कभी सिर्फ धूप में चला तो कभी शीतल छाओं में कभी दोस्तों के संग मस्ती में तो कभी अकेले अपनी तन्हाई में कभी मेहबूबा की मुहोब्बत में डूबा तो कभी अपने गमों के सागर में पर चाह के भी रुक़ न सका तू, चाह के भी मुड़ न सका तू जिसे तूने मंज़िल समझा वो तो बस एक पड़ाव निकला लाख कोशिश की तूने पर उस पड़ाव पर डेरा ना डाल सका वो सब जो तुझे प्यारे थे पीछे छूट गए , चाह के भी तू उनकी राह पे चल ना सका नए लोगों से नए रिश्तों से बंधता टूटता चला, अपने आपको डून्ड़ता चला तू मुसाफिर है तो ये क्यूँ नहीं मानता की जो राह में तुझे मिले उनका कोई भरोसा नहीं जिस राह पे जिस मौसम में तू चल रहा है वो भी बदल जायेंगे जब तू अपनी मंज़िल पे पहुंचेगा तो पता नहीं किसे संग पायेगा. ...

Compliment Someone, Because, Why Not?

Last week a customer service lady at self-checkout area of Loblaws walked up to me and asked if I was at the store the previous day. I indeed was.  I was surprised she remembered me, and was also confused as to why would it matter if I showed up on consecutive days. You know how at times your brain goes a million miles per sec and causes you to question all your life choices? I was running all the reasons in my head as to why someone would care about my grocery schedule. So, it was in that slightly confused state I replied, albeit politely “ Yes, I was here yesterday. The huge watermelon I bought did not allow me to complete my entire grocery checklist as I had reached my single trip haul limit, so I am here again to buy rest of my items ”. Meanwhile, my inner voice was shouting “ Why are you justifying your grocery trip to this random lady? Like who cares? ” Me being me, where my face clear as water always shows what I feel inside; she must have seen that confusion clearly danci...

Radha-Krishan jaisi jodi hai!! But Why?

I was with couple of my friends on a trip earlier this month, when we landed on the topic of Radha while listening to the song “ Radha on the dance floor, Radha wants to party …” from the movie Student of the Year . My friend suddenly told “ Isn’t our culture a little strange? Although Radha and Krishna were never married, every time people see a good couple they say “ RadhaKrishan jaisi Jodi hai! ”(ie. Couple like Radha-Krishna). ” For those who aren’t familiar with Hindu mythology; Radha & Krishna appear in the Dvapara Yuga which is the 3 rd out of four yugas (4 th one being Kali Yuga, the current one that we all are part of). Radha is considered an incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi and Krishna is the Eighth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Radha and Krishna are most popularly known and worshipped as RadhaKrishna – in one form. Radha is Krishna’s supreme beloved and his childhood friend. Acrylic Painting of Krishna with his Flute - By Me. The Lord and His consort are refe...